International Women's Day Shouldn't Be The ONLY Day We Celebrate Women

Women are strong, wise and have created so many things in life that you may not even have known about.

98

International Women's Day has come and gone, but the women of today and the past should always be celebrated.

All the women in my life have been positive role models to me. They have shown strength and the ability to handle whatever life has thrown at them. Women are strong, wise and have created and accomplished so many things in life that you may not even have known about.

Recently, I watched a video on Buzzfeed about how men gave up inventions that women created in history for a day. Some of those inventions include the can opener, computer software, caller ID/call waiting, windshield wipers, gas heating furnace, and the square bottom paper bag.

The men in the video had quite a hard time not using these products, and most people don't even know that women are responsible for inventing them. Women, especially today are finally demanding to be recognized for all they do, and to receive credit where credit is due.

This has been a long time coming, because this has been an issue where women have always not equal. It's time for them to be heard, to be recognized because they are some of the most powerful humans in the world. Heck, we are. We are all strong, wise and capable of accomplishing anything in this world.

Women get put in a box where they are perceived as weak, and can't do things that men can, where in most cases, they can do it better. Women are just as intelligent, just as strong, just as capable as men. I think people forget that. We should be teaching that to our kids, to our friends, and family members. Providing them with examples and teaching them that they can do anything will change the attitude towards how women are viewed.

With the #MeToo movement and countless sexual assault stories coming to light, women are proving to be even more brave than ever. They are showing the world that they won't be ignored because us women are too great to be ignored.

So, make sure you acknowledge how wonderful the women in your life are, and even the women that you don't know. We all go through different challenges in life, and you don't know what we had to go through to get where we are today. Tell your mom, sister, grandma, aunt, whoever, how much they mean to you and how strong they are because odds are they went through a lot to provide for themselves and you.