5 Often Forgotten Essentials For The Beach

The 5 Essentials 20-Somethings Forget To Pack When Going To The Jersey Shore

And maybe some things you've never thought of bringing before

39
Photo by Tim Gouw from Pexels
Shannon Solley

Whether you're looking for a fierce time in Wildwood or just some peaceful window shopping in Cape May, these essentials are sure to prove absolutely indispensable (yet completely forgettable) for any NJ shore trip.

1. Sunscreen

chezbeate

You may be rolling your eyes at this first one, but hear me out---it may just save you a couple bucks to put to better use on a bucket of boardwalk fries!

Many people count on going to those five and dime stores but seldom realize how they are getting jipped before it's too late. In accordance with the rules of supply and demand, the sunscreen sold down the shore, while identical to what you can purchase in P.A., is significantly higher in price. So, instead of going through the inconvenient (and maybe even familiar) experience of stopping at a five and dime for some overpriced sunscreen, bring your own and bee-line it for those sparkling waves instead.

2. Car charger

While packing for a trip it's easy to forget this all-too-important device for the trip. Most likely, you'll be spending a lot more time in a car than you thought and those mornings where amongst your hangover you realize you've forgotten to plug in your phone the night before, you'll be patting yourself on the back for bringing a charger able to revive your phone while on the go.

3. A wet-suit bag

If you're anything like me, you'll want this one especially. Picture this: after swimming in the water in Wildwood you look up and see the boardwalk. Having your fill of swimming, you emerge from the waves and smell those familiar fried delicacies. You're hungry. So, just walk over and get something, right? Nope, even in Wildwood pier patrons must wear normal clothes. Maybe you've got an outfit you wore over your bathing suit, but putting it over you realize how quickly fabric absorbs the water in another. Sopping wet and hungry, you walk that mile-long trek back to your car all the while smelling that tantalizingly beautiful boardwalk food. This is unlike Susan, whose brought a zip-lock bag and underwear, and effortlessly changes in the bathroom and grabs some fried Oreos. Be like Susan.

4. Baby powder

Photo by Kaboompics .com from Pexels

We all hate those little feet rinsers, right? They do nothing for the rest of your body when it comes to getting rid of sand and oftentimes you may even have to wait in line! Why don't you skip the line and use baby powder instead? My family and I learned this trick when we went down to Maryland one summer from a mother with young kids. She saw us struggling with the sand on our arms and offered some of her baby powder and to our surprise, the sand just fell off without us touching the spots it was caked on. It may sound silly and that it doesn't work, but just try it and you'll be pleasantly surprised to find you won't be chaffing on the boardwalk from your afternoon swim.

5. Radio/phone speakers

There's nothing like the sound of waves rolling and seagulls squawking at small children---this ambiance can be greatly advanced by your favorite tunes. Whenever I was walking on the beach, an armful of beach towels, I'd always envy those who had either speakers or a good-'ol-fashioned radio to listen to while they sunbathed. Headphones, which block out those sought-after sounds, just don't cut it. No one wants to choose between hearing the ocean or their music---so pick both. Bring your speakers.