I Ranked Every Episode Of Black Mirror So You Wouldn't Have To

"I mean that's what Black Mirror is. It's not really a condemnation of technology...we have invented this thing that is emotionless and it is a reflection and enhances our own psychological issues." - Jodie Foster

464
Facebook

Heebie-Jeebies.

That is what is in store for you if you decide to watch Black Mirror. It is the most terrifying yet intriguing show I have ever watched. Even the horrifying moments of terror and violence only seem to draw you further into the show.

I have never experienced the fluctuation between hate and love before like I did while watching Black Mirror. You could swear yourself off the entire series from one episode, then you watch one more and fall in love all over again.

I started watching Black Mirror after the release of the third season for U.S. streaming on Netflix. I had heard stories of the show before online without watching any of it. After the shocking first episode, I was hooked. I binged all three seasons in a day and a half.

After the release of season four, my roommate and I watched the new season for a couple days. We had mixed feelings after the final episode. I decided to rank all the episodes of Black Mirror.

My ranking system may be a little different from other lists for a couple reasons. First, my favorite episodes are ones where I think I know how the episode ends and suddenly there is a surprise twist. I love those twists in the last minute or two of the episode that just destroys my already assumed ideas. My least favorite episodes were ones that just weren’t absurd enough or didn’t twist reality just enough.

I love Black Mirror for the horror that comes with future technology, but also the good. Some of the ideas of Black Mirror, not only seemed plausible in our immediate future but also useful despite the scary twist put on the technology.

Black Mirror showed us how crazy technology could be in our future. However, the power of the technology never mattered. Each time, human nature managed to break through technologies grasp. Most of the time, that human nature was ugly.

Black Mirror showed our choices and behaviors will always be the crutch to the technology that controls our lives.

19. Arkangel

These bottom couple of episodes, I just did not enjoy in the slightest. “Arkangel” fell below that feeling. I just thought the idea was kind of a filler idea. They stole the technology from the White Christmas episode for blurring out bad images.

Also, the omniscient ability of the mother just did not seem to be bad. Maybe I have been desensitized by the other more forward episodes with their fear plots. However, I must put “Arkangel” at the bottom of the list due to is underwhelming story and emotions.

Maybe if I was a mother I would rank this higher, but it was still the most boring episode. I didn’t feel disgusted. I didn’t feel terrified. I didn’t even feel any emotions really. Terrible episode!

18. Men Against Fire

I think the only problem that really made me dislike this episode was the technology. It seemed like this technology was just too real. I think the military probably uses it today. Maybe not exactly the way the episode portrayed, but turning your enemies into “monsters” to make them easier to kill is nothing new.

I wish the episode had some twist or something more to it. I didn’t feel disgusted or terrified.

17. Waldo Moment

Once again, this technology was just not scary. Especially with our current political system, we are not very far off form electing a cartoon to public office. Overall, the episode was entertaining which is why it was not last, but it did not have that gut-wrenching Black Mirrorfeel to it. I felt a little disgusted towards humanity, but I never felt terror.

16. Crocodile

Personally, I just feel like this episode was too bland. I seemed like a horror Hallmark movie. You knew how it ended at the beginning of the episode.

This episode could’ve been higher on my list if there was more of a twist or loud moments that just grabbed your eyes to the TV. The episode started strong and I was excited to see what was going to happen. However, I felt just kind of bored after the ending. I wanted terror or disgust. “Crocodile” lacked both.

15. Metal Head

I am not sure of the point of this episode. It was just one big chase scene that ended poorly. I liked the black and white contrast. I disliked the drone killing everyone.

I wanted depth! Tell me why the drones started killing everyone. The episode lacked backstory. If I had a "why" then maybe I would’ve ranked this one a little higher.

14. Shut Up and Dance

Once again, the technology of this episode was just not scary enough to warrant a higher ranking. However, I thought the human side of it was brilliant. The means to which a person will go to protect themselves was shown fully. I felt disgusted. I felt terror. I just wish the whole thing was center around an abusable technology instead of a simple hack job anyone with basic knowledge and a keyboard could pull off.

13. Hated in the Nation

“Hated in the Nation” had some of the coolest application of future technology, robot bees. We all know that bees are dying, and this episode asks the question of what would happen if we had robot replacement.

However, surrounding this cool idea is an extremely long, relatively boring episode that has some terrible graphics. I ranked this one low for its lack of fear and disgust I felt. I never questioned human's use of technology because I hope we have robot bees in the future, that would be cool. The terror side of the episode was not enough to make this a good episode.

12. U.S.S. Callister

I initially thought that this was going to be one of my favorite episodes. It had the horror. It had some humor. It had cool technology. However, it was just so fake. I oddly hated the happy conclusion.

I kept thinking that something was going to happen. I was wishing for a sad despairing ending to really solidify this as a great Black Mirrorepisode. I am used to the terrifying gut-wrenching feelings in Black Mirror. I just never felt any of those.

11. Fifteen Million Merits

I enjoyed this episode for its story. The emotions felt were a kind of crushing hope mixed with fear. You knew the whole time the bad stuff was going to happen, but you still cheered for the good guys.

The ending was perfect and my terror for the future only solidified itself in my own lonely feelings of helplessness. The only thing I did not like was the lack of backstory and a purpose as to why they had to freaking bicycle those bikes every gosh darn day.

10. The Entire History of You

While researching some other rankings of Black Mirror episodes, I found this episode usually ranked in the top 5 areas. I just don’t see what everyone else sees.

I thought it was a great Black Mirrorepisode that met all the criteria to be a great one, but there was never a moment that just grabbed you. There was never a moment where you went “Aha!” or screamed internally. I never felt a high level or disgust or intrigue. If there was a single gut-wrenching moment at the end that just grabbed me, I would rank this higher. However, all together, it was a solid episode worthy of top ten, but nothing more.

9. Black Museum

A lot of my friends and critics have been ranking this episode low. However, I loved this episode. I had so much nostalgia while viewing old items from previous episodes. The mini-stories were okay. The pain mini story was pretty good. I almost had to look away during some moments. The other parts of the movie were ok, which is why it is not higher. The nostalgia is what won me over on this one.

8. Nose Dive

"Nose Dive" was the first episode of Black Mirror I watched. It hooked me right away. The story was awesome. The technology was all too real and relatable to our ‘like’ centered world. I felt disgusted with humanity.

However, it did not have any cringe-worthy moments which is why it is not higher. It lacked that punch of horror in the mouth. I deleted my social media accounts for like, two weeks after this episode. Which pertains the effect of the emotions I felt, but I think this is a good ranking for the episode.

7. White Christmas

"White Christmas" was a great episode that was just stuffed too much with cool ideas and graphic images that it turned out kind of blah. I have rewatched the episode several times and I still enjoy it. The technology was awesome, and the human nature side quickly turned dark at the end.

I felt intrigued and then disgusted. Both of those feelings together equal one great episode. Maybe this one should be a little higher ranked, but my top six really just grabbed me a little more.

6. The National Anthem

Episode one of Black Mirror, and I honestly would’ve been turned off to the whole series probably if I had seen the premiere of this episode. It was unsettling. The technology was almost non-existent but present enough to scare you.

Yes, in real life, this probably would never happen, but there is like knife-edge to where it could happen. The final moments added to the terror and despair I felt during the episode. That final twist just made me feel disgusted with humanity. The shocking features of the episode kind of turned this into a hazing ritual. If you survive this episode, then you can survive all the episodes.

5. Hang the DJ

“Hang the DJ’s” main story was a little obvious except the very ending. The last scene blew my mind! I loved the idea it was a simulation the entire time in a program. Awesome!

I loved the cues and hints throughout the episode that suggested the program was being self-aware at times. The true-love feeling the episode was only escalated at the twist ending. The episode oddly gave me hope. I downloaded Tinder immediately after watching this episode, which is probably the wrong move for feeling hopeful. “Hang the DJ” elevates the toxicity of online dating, but still managed to give a wave of relief and hope in the final moments.

4. San Junipero

I am sure everyone’s heart broke a little bit after watching this episode. The human nature of Black Mirrorreally played well with the mystery behind the episode. Humanity is always brought into question in Black Mirror episodes, but this one just was cruel.

The mystery of the episode increased the emotional connection I felt to the characters. The ending just exploded those emotions into a volcano of love and lonesome. The contrast from the usual terror mixed disgust of a Black Mirrorepisode was thrown aside for an amazing love story. The only reason this is not in my top three is that it never really caused me to question my humanity or feel fear. Still, it was an amazing love story and episode.

3. Be Right Back

Depression is a hard thing to capture. “Be Right Back” perfectly captured the feelings of depression. I felt sorry for the actress after losing her husband. The idea of a cyber replacement to loved ones is an interesting one.

The twist at the end really gave the familiar gut-wrenching Black Mirror typical feeling. Although, I didn’t get the disgust a usual episode dishes out. I did enjoy the heart touching moments leading into the big reveal. “Be Right Back” is solid in the top three.

2. White Bear

I kept switching “White Bear” with “San Juniper.” However, the ending of "White Bear" is why this episode is number two. I never saw it coming. I was hooked from the first second of the episode. I kept looking for the hook or the catch. Then everything came like a flood.

The last minute of the episode was amazing. Everything came together, and all my questions were answered. I was disgusted with humanity for a while, which is a good sign for any Black Mirror episode. The memory eraser was super cool. The idea of punishing criminals this way was completely terrifying. Awesome episode!

1. Playtest

How I look at time relativity will never be the same after this episode. This episode destroyed my mind. It had the perfect amount of terror and intrigue that kept me hooked through the entire episode. Each twist caused me to think it was over and concluded. Once the truth was revealed, it took me a couple minutes to come back around to reality. I immediately rewatched the episode.

I felt the same emotions as the first time while looking for the clues and catches throughout the episode. Although the episode was a little loose in the abuse of the technology, the episode did not pit humanity against itself in some ways that "Black Mirror"usually does. However, I rank this as the best "Black Mirror" episode purely for the shock value at the end that will make you stare at the TV screen for a while trying to bring reality back to check as you figure just what happened.