9 Ways You Can Make A Difference For The Environment Besides Recycling

Earth Day may be once a year but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to make a difference every day.
71

Want to do more for the environment?

Don't know what to do besides recycling?

Have other ideas but not sure if they are good?

Earth Day may be once a year but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to make a difference every day. if you're like me and feel it is in our best interest to keep the environment healthy. Then here are 9 tips to help you get started.

1. Carpool, walk or bike

Whether its running errands with a friend, riding to school or traveling to the same place with a large group. Carpooling is a great way to reduce the impact of fossil fuels and greenhouse gases such as carbon monoxide (CO), which is responsible for much of the change in the climate.

If the distance is short enough, walking and biking are great alternatives and can even get you some exercise.

2. Start a compost heap to reduce the waste you send to landfill sites

This not only reduces the amount you throw away but gives you something to put extra nutrients in your garden or grass. Coffee grounds and eggshells are also an ideal for composting.

Want to create your own compost bin? here's how.

3. Choose energy-efficient appliances when you replace old ones

Believe it or not, replacing your old incandescent light bulbs with new energy-saving LED lights not only cuts back on how much energy you use but the amount of light pollution that is emitted.

Washer and dryers can be the same, replace an old one with one that is more energy efficient.

4. Insulate your home

By doing this, you are keeping your air conditioner or heater from working harder to cool and heat your home, therefore saving money and energy that can be used for something else.

5. Stop the use of disposable bags

Grocery stores are notorious for this. Instead of using 50 plastic bags that are provided by the grocery store that you're just going to throw away after, bring your own reusable bags.

Some grocery stores also have where you can bring back and recycle plastic bags you have used and you can get five cents back.

6. Fix leaky faucets

A drip may not look like much but if its a continuing drip over time it becomes much more than a little drop of water.

7. Repurpose glass jars as leftover containers and bulk storage, especially in the kitchen

My family does this all the time! It is a great way to use a jar more than once.

8. Turn off lights when you leave or aren't using a room

This ensures that you aren't using more energy than you need.

9. Buy rechargeable batteries

One reason, of course, is the cost. While rechargeable batteries may cost more initially, over time that cost will diminish. Another reason is the way batteries are made and the already limited sources to make them.

And these things are by no means the only things you can do. Here's a list provided by the EPA of more ways to help the environment.