16 Beautiful English Words You Didn't Know You Needed

16 Beautiful English Words You Didn't Know You Needed In Your Life

You too can have a vocabulary like Hemingway. You're welcome.

63

Language is the beautifully complex way that humans communicate with one another. Meanings and translations differ from region to region, but there is no denying the necessity of language for daily communication and meaningful relationships. People tend to think of the English language as improper and somewhat ugly, but English has some beautiful vocabulary available for use! Here are a few English words that give you the warm fuzzies when you hear them!

1. Palimpsest

"a manuscript or piece of writing material on which the original writing has been effaced to make room for later writing but of which traces remain"

2. Bucolic

"relating to the pleasant aspects of the countryside and country life."

3. Tintinnabulation

"a ringing or tinkling sound"

4. Ebullience

"the quality of being cheerful and full of energy; exuberance."

5. Chatoyant

"(of a gem, especially when cut en cabochon) showing a band of bright reflected light caused by aligned inclusions in the stone."

6. Riparian

"related to or situated on the banks of a river"

7. Petrichor

"a pleasant smell that frequently accompanies the first rain after a long period of warm, dry weather."

8. Gambol

"run or jump about playfully"

9. Offing

"the more distant part of the sea in view."

10. Gossamer

"a fine, filmy substance consisting of cobwebs spun by small spiders, which is seen especially in autumn."

11. Inglenook

"a space on either side of a large fireplace"

12. Languor

"the state or feeling, often pleasant, of tiredness or inertia."

13. Mellifluous

"(of a voice or words) sweet or musical; pleasant to hear."

14. Limerence

"the state of being infatuated or obsessed with another person, typically experienced involuntarily and characterized by a strong desire for reciprocation of one's feelings but not primarily for a sexual relationship."

15. Syzygy

"a conjunction or opposition, especially of the moon with the sun."

16. Bombinate

"buzz; hum."