English Major Blues Turned Elementary Education Major

"Oh you write?" Yeah just for fun and in my free time.

55
Alexandr Podvalny/Unsplash

While being an English major, I was asked,"Oh! Do you write?" so many times that if I had a dollar for each time I was asked that I would be able to pay for my undergraduate degree. Yes, I write, but not like Carrie Bradshaw in "Sex and the City" or J.K. Rowling with "Harry Potter." I just simply write my Odyssey articles for enjoyment and in my free-time! Another question that was asked frequently was, "Well if you don't write are you going to teach high school English?" and I would simply just laugh and get a tad offended when they automatically assumed high-school. Honestly, if I couldn't handle the people I went to high-school with that were my age, I don't think I could handle teaching them.

In all seriousness, I love younger children and the aspect of helping students learn to speak English seemed and still seems appealing to me, and that's where I was going with this whole English major nonsense. However, I can't do that aspect of the program until master level entry, so here I am.

SEE ALSO: I Will Be A Teacher For All The Right Reasons

I took four months worth of college classes that didn't go towards my elementary education major, which is disheartening, and I'm still on an uphill climb because I'm getting behind, and still trying to catch up. If it weren't for a teacher I had in elementary school and a teacher I had in high school, I wouldn't be where I am today, those two ladies were role models in my life, and I want to be what they were for me, for someone else. Regardless of today's standards in the school system, I want my students to know they are important and that they are more than a score, more than what some piece of paper has to say about them, because, well, they are. Maybe after this whole undergrad thing, i'll go after the masters and get the foreign language!

This goes to show that even though four months into college, while I thought I had everything put together, I decided to change my mind. I feel like since I changed my major, I have a purpose and that waking up and going to classes is much easier than it was, and now I have 8 a.m.s!