Why Literature is Important

Why English Literature Is Important

"Literature is written by people, about people, for people." -Anonymous

154
Why English Literature Is Important
Katelyn Mozo

English and literature has a very special place in my heart. Not only is it my major in college, it has been a life saver for me. Being able to escape reality and get lost in a whole new universe of characters and places. Literature is a beautiful thing and I am constantly asked why I am an English major. Multiple people tell me no one cares about English, no one reads anymore, no one cares, that I'm setting myself up for failure and that no student of mine will want to read or even come to class. I won't lie, these comments hurt me a lot. Not only is it attacking my beliefs, they are attacks on my passions. But I don't let that affect my decisions. Literature is crucial for our society, and here are the reasons why.

English and literature is important for multiple reasons. Literature is very entertaining. Like I stated before, it allows us to escape the reality of the real world. It allows us to see into the authors imagination and lets our own imaginations run wild. We get to witness creativity, individuality, and expression through the stories of authors. There are so many unique aspects when it comes to literature and there truly is a book for every single person. I firmly believe that everyone should read at least once a day. We do it constantly, we all ready every single day, but we don't always allow ourselves to read for pleasure.

Another thing literature provides for us is connections and relatability of the characters. There have been so many instances where I can see myself in a character in a story. I believe that we are all like some character in some way, and for me it is comforting being able to relate to someone, even though they might not be real. But, most characters we read about are a variation of a real person, someone in the authors own personal life. So, in essence, we are all part of someone else's story, both on paper and in the real world. Literature also can expose us to different cultures and experiences. A story, fiction or not, can still be relatable. There will always be some element of truth and relatability in a story. Books can also address real-world issues, and they're presented to us in a creative and engaging way.

Overall, there is such a huge importance of reading and looking at literature. We can use what we read to be exposed and educated to a plethora of information in a safe and secure way. Stories, as believable as they are, are still just stories. Yes, some are based on events and there is always a truth in a book, but they can enlighten us about the real world without us being harmed. Also, literature allows people of all ages and differences to read about one thing and connect with the same story.

"The covers of books are unlocked doors to new universes,"- Austin J. Bennett