Endless Shrimp Horror Stories
popular

Endless Shrimp Horror Stories

You Don't Have Food Poisoning You Have the Poops!

3345
Endless Shrimp Horror Stories
https://res.cloudinary.com/simpleview/image/upload/crm/lynchburg/Red-Lobster-logo-6d4a94395056b3a_6d4a96e5-5056-b3a8-49b87c4926456702.jpg

Ahh, it's that time of year again: school has started for millions of kids, the weather is changing, the trees are losing their leaves, football season is here, and oh yeah it's endless shrimp at Red Lobster. Every server in the world knows that there is nothing worse than an endless promotion, but Red Lobster employees know the pain all too well with first hand experience. Red Lobster's endless shrimp promotion started in 2004 and has been a running 'success' ever since. This year, you can enjoy all the shrimp you can handle for just $17.99; what a deal (literally kill me). Endless shrimp appears to bring out the worse of the worse (and yeah we still have our fair share of nice, polite tables; however, the terrible tables leave you with tales you'll never forget). I've been working at Red Lobster for six years, that's six endless shrimp promotions I've gone through! The rules are simple for endless: you can put in a refill when your halfway done with your meal, then you can put one in at a time, and you can take home one small box. I have had multiple negative experiences as a result; however, I know I am not the only one. Therefore, I set out to find the worse endless shrimp experiences I could find from my co-workers. Maybe after reading some of these horror stories, you'll learn to treat any server with respect and compassion because we honestly go through a lot of stuff (yeah I'm talking about getting yelled at by costumers because biscuits were taking too long).

The Derogatory Term

It was about week two into endless shrimp (of a good 3 month promotion) and I was working a split shift. I remember being so tired and hungry that I couldn't wait for my shift to end. Unfortunately, after spending my entire Saturday at work, I got sat again (working 10+ hours a day of endless is brutal). I took the tables drink orders and brought them out their salads and bread in a timely manner. The kitchen was extremely backed up because everyone in the entire restaurant was ordering endless. Eventually my table's food came out and I put in their shrimp refills immediately. The refills were taking a while, because we had so many people ordering them. It took a good 10 minutes for the table's refills to come out and they were pissed. Like really pissed. They began to yell at me saying that it shouldn't be taking this long for refills to come out. I tried to explain to them that we were just super busy and the kitchen was working as fast as they could, but that wasn't enough. They continued to belittle me and the man said something I will never forget: "Our refills shouldn't be taking this long, why don't you go the the back you faggot and get me your manager." Honestly, I never thought I would be called that in my life, so I went to my manager who was half listening to me and I told her what happened. She must not of heard that he called me a faggot and I was uncomfortable taking care of them. She wouldn't let me give up the table to someone else. The whole time I was worried and scared that they would harm me and then they left without tipping; however, they continued to belittle me the rest of the time.

Dine and Dashers

Mine was when a 25 top came in. Of course they all got endless shrimp and we told them the rules right of the bat: no sharing, only one small box per person, and only one refill at a time. Then once the food was delivered they tried to order more shrimp right away. We had to inform them that they had to be half way through with their meal before they could order more (those are the rules so no one stock piles shrimp). Of course everyone was pissed! Then when they were ready for boxes. We gave them each a small box and they were mad they couldn't fit more shrimp in it so they attempted to get more boxes. Well after 3 hours of them being my only table because they were running me and I wouldn't have time for another table, they left me and the other girl only $10 to share. However, some of them didn't even pay for their meals which means they dined and dashed. To make matters worse, when we were cleaning up, we found a $20 bill on the floor that had weed rolled up in it. Worse endless shrimp table ever!

Here's Your F**king Marg!

Umm.. explaining to guests that we want you to enjoy and try all our flavors and even take some home in a small box. In addition, I would box up all your other leftovers like sides and bread and even non alcoholic drinks for you only to have the guest ask a host for a Togo cup for a mega lobsterita (a large margarita) after I asked the gentlemen to please finish his drink inside the restaurant for responsible alcohol reasons. By law he gave me NO other option then to ask our cop who walks out servers to stop him from leaving with it; he then saw me talking to the officer and approached me while my hands were full and I was interacting with another table to tell me I am a snitch and here is my " fu&*ing margarita back." He would request shrimp by replying to my question.. would you like to try any other flavors of our shrimp this evening.. gimme more of dem bitchz. My response was I'll put you in foe mo of dem bitches with a sincere smile no smart ass. I received a 5% tip and a guest complaint. I decided endless shrimp was not my cup of tea if I was going to allow that dinning experience to bother me the rest of the shift. These types of situations are in my opinion more common then they should be.

Excuse Me, Your Purse is Dripping!

I had a lady try to leave with a drippy purse because she was throwing garlic shrimp scampi into her purse when I wasn't looking. So, I gave her a plastic to go bag for her purse. She wasn't embarrassed at all, zero cares. She even tried to take home her Bahama Mamma, which she couldn't do because it's an alcoholic drink.

The Gorger

We had this guy who was gorging on shrimp. He went to the bathroom to toss his cookies to make room for more shrimp. He came out and continued eating his next round of shrimp. Disgusting!

Back Of House Disaster

As part of the back of the house, my favorite was running out of round fried shrimp. We had to hurry up and prepare tray after tray after tray of the fried shrimp by hand only to run out again. Safe to say that wasn't fun.

Tag Team

So, there was this lady who came in and ordered endless. She had to leave to go to a doctor's appointment and she asked me if she could have her friend come in and eat while she was at her appointment. She basically wanted her friend to be there so she could come back and continue eating more shrimp. I'm guessing she was getting put on lipitor or something for hypertension.

Food Poisoning?

I had three men come in and sit at the bar. They all ordered endless and each one of them easily ordered 10 plus rounds of shrimp scampi (at least 130 pieces each). Then, the next day they called to tell us that they received food poisoning from us. Ummm, no you had a bucket of butter, you don't have food poisoning you have the poops.

No More Shrimp, No More Tip

I had a lady with purple lipstick smeared on her teeth, lips, and face with leggings too oversized for her. She asked for extra cheese, I dump that sh*t on it! Then she didn't want her broccoli, suddenly the shrimp begins to pile on her plate. I stop refilling so she sits and looks impatient. I go "check on her" and she says," FIRST of all I didn't get extra cheese on ma potato! But it's gone now it doesn't matter! Then...I don't get ma broccoli! And I ain't getting more shrimp! I need to see a manager!" Of course b*tch doesn't tip....f**k this sh*t!

But You Didn't Order Endless?

I had someone order the seaside shrimp trio. As they were eating the fried shrimp they asked for more fried shrimp. Uhhhh, you didn't order endless you can't get anymore! I also had a table ask me "Do I walk up and get another?" No, It's not a buffet!

Endless shrimp seems like a good idea on paper, but the execution every year is a disaster for all of the employees of Red Lobster. I know I'm already counting down the days until this 11 week promotion is over (only 49 more days). It's only been three weeks of endless and I've already worked two 13 hour shifts with no break and I didn't even have time to eat. I know that servers around the country are also facing the same problems. However, we just have to be strong and carry on because it can't last forever right? Well, not until next year!