Seven Ways to Deal with End of the Semester Stress
Mental Health

7 Ways To End Your End-Of-Semester Stress

For when finals take over your life.

79

Nearing the end of the semester is extremely difficult between studying for finals, making arrangements to go home, packing, etc. Here are a few simple things you can incorporate into your everyday life to help relieve some of the stress.

Practice mindfulness

Essentially, mindfulness means to focus on the present. While it is impossible to completely forget about things from the past or future, practicing mindfulness is a way to allow yourself to worry less about things that have happened or will inevitably happen and help you focus more on enjoying the things in between.

Take a yoga/exercise class

Yoga classes offer the benefit of stretching out those stress knots as well as deep breathing exercises that can help calm your body down. If yoga isn't your thing, try another exercise class that will allow you to blow off some steam.

Start journaling

Journaling is a great form of stress relief. Writing down things that caused stress or anxiety serves as a form of relief as well as a way to self-reflect. Self-reflecting will also help you learn how to prevent and deal with stress in the future. Try doing this before bed for a better sleep.

Get an essential oil diffuser

Essential oils, such as lavender and eucalyptus, have been proven to promote stress-relief and relaxation within the body. Turning on an oil diffuser while studying is a good way to keep you calm and focused.

Meditate

Meditating is another way you can practice mindfulness. Allowing yourself a few minutes each day to take some deep breaths and self-reflect will relieve stress immensely. If you're not sure how there are tons of guided meditation videos on YouTube.

Spend time with friends

Sometimes just being surrounded by people you love is enough to reduce stress. With a break coming up, you can also reach out to friends from your hometown and make plans to meet up with them. This can give you something to look forward to.

When all else fails, watch a funny movie

Giving yourself an hour or two to relax and have a good laugh may work better for you than all the tips listed above. Here is a list by CNET of the best comedies on Netflix right now — you're welcome.