When You Leave Your Parents For The First Time

624
She Knows

Recently I got accepted into the University of Wisconsin at Oshkosh, and at first, joy was the only emotion I felt for weeks. But seeing as I have to now move away from my parents (more than 300 miles), more than happiness is now coursing through my veins. Moving is a part of life, I understand that, but the emotions one feels about moving can be intense.

Excitement

Your first major emotion is excitement. You're excited that you get to finally move on with your life, you get to experience life in a different place, you get to see the world (that is outside your small town), etc. The excitement boils over in your veins and you feel so giddy you might pass out. This is 100 percent normal. This is a new step in your life, a new stone for your path to greatness. Anyone would be excited to go somewhere new and see what that town/city has to offer them. I know I was only dreaming of getting into either Oshkosh or Madison but I knew the likelihood was slim. In the end, I would just suddenly break out in dance around the dorm room because I was super excited!

Fear

Fear, I believe, is the next emotion one feels when moving away or out of state for the first time away from their parents/guardian. You have no idea what is going to happen, you're not going to have that fall back to lean on should something go wrong, and you can't (always) go home on weekends to see them. This is something new that you're going to have to go through and it's scary when you go off into the unknown. I believe this emotion isn't just the next emotion you feel but it's an emotion that sticks with you long into the third, fourth, and so on.

Worry

This and fear go hand in hand. If you fear the unknown then you're going to worry about what this new place is going to bring you. Some things I know I'm worrying about is how I'm going to like the city of Oshkosh. You then worry about how you're going to live, get by, make money, or even if the people are going to be able to tolerate you. Don't worry, once you get there most of the anxieties should pass.

Excitement

After you get past some of the fear and worries, the excitement comes back and you begin planning everything. Where you're going to live, what you're going to bring, what you're going to do, whom you're going to bring if you have a pet, and so on. I know I get to bring my cat Apollo with me and he's just about as excited about snow as I am.

Eagerness

As the day approaches you begin to feel eager about getting the move over and done with. You have to finish getting the last things settled, insurance, medical, housing, job, etc, and even those seem to be taking forever. I know I got my acceptance letter at the end of January... the fall term doesn't even start until September 8. I have nine months before I have to be sitting in a classroom in Wisconsin. Though I'm moving up there in May I am almost bouncing in my seat every day here at Queens waiting for the day in May to hurry up and get here. Waiting is not my forte.

Relief

The day has come and it's time to finally pack up the last few things into the car and move your butt out and onto this new place that is awaiting you. Everything is done, everything is waiting, and now is the time to slip into that driver seat or get on that plane and go to this new place and enjoy your time there.

Sadness

It's okay to feel sad the day you leave, it's okay to cry when you say goodbye to your family because you don't know when you'll see them again. I'm moving out of state, over 700 miles away from my parents. The closest family I'll have is like 20 minutes away but it won't be the same. Your family has been your center point for 18+ years and that's all you've known. Just look at the bright side and know that you're going on to greatness and this is going to be an adventure.

Excitement/Fear

You're going to be super excited that you're leaving but you're also going to fear the unknown. You're going to feel these emotions on and off throughout the waiting period and you're going to feel all the other emotions in tandem with these. Just look out to the horizon and keep moving as you're going to a new place that is full of adventure and good things that will benefit your future.

I don't know what the future is going to hold for me but I know that I have a lot ahead of me before I get there and I'm going to love whatever I find when I get there. Moving is a part of life, I understand that, but the emotions one feels about moving can be intense. Being a military brat, I know moving more than anyone but moving without my parents out of state is going to be new for me. But I know if I can do it then I know that other people can as well. Look to the positive and take each emotion in stride.