For as long as I can remember, music has always been an important part of my life. For the longest time, music was my only friend. Each band member was a part of my family, someone that I felt a true connection with. Every song, every word was like poetry, as if the bands had translated my feelings into music. I was that "emo" kid in high school, adorned with Hot Topic chains and band tees. I would strut down the hall my in my checkered Vans with skater friends, blaring the loudest screamo I could play on my iPod Touch.
Since unearthing my metalcore roots, I have felt like a kid again, before life became real and troubles were unknown. I felt carefree... wandering the halls like I was hot shit with no one to listen to. Stupid child... but I love the memories. Even though I will always and forever be a metalhead, my roots are ground deep in these bands.
These are the 37 songs that make me feel like that emo kid again:
1. If It Means A lot to You - A Day to Remember
NOW EVERYBODY'S SINGING LA... LALALA... LALALA!
2. Second and Sebring - Of Mice and Men
This was the first scream song I ever listened to... it will always be my anthem.
3. Welcome To The Black Parade - My Chemical Romance
I know you are singing the words right now... don't hold back.
4. Famous Last Words - My Chemical Romance
MCR was the definition of tween rebellion and I miss it.
5. Thnks Fr Th Mmrs - Fall Out Boy
Need I say more...
6. If You are James Dean, I'm Audrey Hepburn - Sleeping With Sirens
I met Kellin Quinn when I was 14 in an Urban Outfitters and cried while singing this song to him...
7. Part of Me - Neck Deep
*SCREAMS LYRICS AS LOUD AND OFF PITCH AS POSSIBLE*
8. Dear Maria, Count Me In - All Time Low
I GOT YOUR PICTURE, IM COMING WITH YA
9. Time Bomb - All Time Low
I remember listening to this song for hours on abandon playgrounds while drinking airplane bottles of rum...oh high school.
10. Miles Away - Memphis May Fire ft Kellin Quinn
When Kellin came on stage in Warped Tour 2014 to sing this...Ded.
11. Stick Stickly - Attack Attack!
No one will ever make electronic keyboard and screamo sound as perfect as Attack Attack! and that's why they are Top 5.
12. Tears Don't Fall - Bullet For My Valentine
This music video though...
13. Bring Me To Life - Evanescence
Even if you aren't a scene kid, you love this song.
14. Fall For You - Secondhand Serenade
If you didn't cry about lost love to this song, were you even emo?
15. King for a Day - Pierce the Veil
Anddddddd Kellin Quinn dominated another song (what happened).
16. Stay Away From My Friends - Pierce the Veil
The ultimate fuck boi song.
17. The Red - Chenille
That bass though.
18. All Signs Point to Lauderdale - A Day To Remember
I HATE THIS TOWN
IT'S ALL WASHED UP
AND ALL MY FRIENDS DON'T GIVE A...well you can finish it.
19. Can You Feel My Heart - Bring Me The Horizon
Even though Suicide Season is better, this album put them on the map, and its fucking great.
20. Not The American Average - Asking Alexandria
This is a raunchy song and I didn't realize it 'til I was almost 18...
21. 40 Days... - blessthefall
My favorite song (and also the loudest set I have ever heard at Warped Tour)
22. Awakening - blessthefall
23. The Anthem - Good Charlotte
I almost forgot this one and I am ashamed of myself.
24. All the Small Things - Blink 182
The roots of all punk music was born here.
25. Good Riddance - Green Day
This played at my middle school graduation and everyone cried while I sang the lyrics in happiness.
26. You Only Live Once - Suicide Silence
The original YOLO. #RIPMitch
27. Middle Fingers Up - Attila
My grandmother once told me that this song was obscene.
28. Savior - Rise Against
This is the only Rise Against song I remember, but do we need to know any others?
29. The Kill - 30 Seconds to Mars
The Jared Leto I remember, before he was a heroin addict and a transgender Aids victim (in his movies just saying).
30. Face Down - The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
I have rediscovered this song and I have probably played it 17 times today.
31. Scars - Papa Roach
I TEAR MY HEART OPEN
I SEW MYSELF SHUT
32. Broken - Seether
A boy played this song for me on his guitar when I was 13 and my emo heart fell in love (yes, he was a skater boy in a punk band).
33. Diary of Jane - Breaking Benjamin
Their best song 10/10.
34. Holding On - Scary Kids Scaring Kids
I hope some of you are not so young that you don't remember this gem.
35. In The End - Linkin Park
Would you be a real emo kid if you didn't call Linking Park 'metal' and burn illegal copies on your computer?
36. Through Glass - Stone Sour
I remember trying to analyze what this song was about, trying to make it sound deep as shit.
37. I Hate Everything About You - Three Days Grace
Finally, it wouldn't be emo if I didn't include some angry Three Days Grace.
Bang on, my fellow emo kids. Enjoy the throwbacks.