Emily Warren Wrote The Rules, Now She's Ready To Win The Game

Emily Warren wrote "New Rules," sung by Dua Lipa and is now ready to explode onto the music industry herself

141
David O'Donohue

Recently I had the opportunity to interview singer/ songwriter Emily Warren. You may know her best for writing Dua Lipa's chart topping single "New Rules." She is part of the Forbes Under 30 for Music Class of 2018 with the likes of Joe Jonas, Travis Scott, Migos, and Bebe Rexha. She is no stranger to writing hits because she has also collaborated with the Chainsmokers with "Sick Boy," "You Owe Me," and "Everybody Hates Me."

Emily Warren is a force when it comes to writing beautifully written feminist anthems, song about love, and absolute masterpieces standing up for each other. I asked her everything that you could possibly want to know about being a songwriter and a star about to explode.

1. Where do you get your inspiration from when it comes to writing songs?

Inspiration always comes from experience. That's why I think when you're doing something creative taking time off can sometimes be just as valuable and productive as working itself. You have to live and take in in order to have something to give out.

2. What events led you to discover that you wanted to pursue music?

I was always around music growing up. My dad plays and sings, and my parents always encouraged us to pursue music. I eventually got a piano teacher who was also a songwriter and she was the one that really opened my eyes to songwriting when I was 11 years old.

It became an obsession and I ended up pursuing it without realizing it really. It's amazing when you do something you love because it works out that way -- it doesn't feel like a job or a career even, it's just what I would be doing anyway.

3. What can you tell our audience about pursuing their dreams?

I honestly think that pursuing your dreams is one of the single most important things you can do. Often your passions test you - they're challenging, there isn't a set path, and you have to carve your own way, and so a lot of people veer away from that understandably.

But pushing through and doing what makes you happy is so worth it in the long term. I know it's a cliche, but life is short, it's important to live for yourself and be wary of living for anybody else.

4. How did you choose Dua Lipa for "New Rules?"

Those two are a match made in heaven - they chose each other. The song would be nothing without Dua, her voice, the video, her whole attitude. You can't plan for these things - just absolute magic.

5. How would you say being an artist is different today in relation to the use of social media?

Social media, for all its positives, at the end of the day is more poison than it is helpful in my experience. I work with artists who are affected by what people are saying about them, criticism, how many likes they are or aren't getting. It makes it really difficult to create without insecurities or restrictions when you're constantly being reminded of other peoples' opinions about you.

I think lots of people suffer from that on social media, but when you're doing it as an artist, not only are you putting yourself out there and opening yourself to criticism, but you've also got that many more eyes on you. I think if you can do it and have a presence and use it as a tool without letting it affect you then you've struck a balance, but I feel like that is quite hard to achieve.

6. How would you describe your style as an artist?

That's a good question! I think my artistry is very much a reflection of me as a person. I've tried to wait to put anything out until I knew exactly what I wanted to say, and what I wanted it to sound like.

7. Who are your biggest role models in music? (Past and Present)

John Mayer is a big one - I've learned so much about lyric and melody and storytelling from listening and learning his songs. Also The Beatles, Feist, Arctic Monkeys, Stromae... and, of course, my dad.

8. What’s your favorite song to cover from a different artist?

When I was in a band we used to always play "Caught Up" by Usher. I also love to do "Headlines" by Drake. It's always fun to take a song that's not emo/slow and turn it into an acoustic slow jam.

9. Where was your first show/performance?

The first real show I ever played was with a band I had called Emily Warren and the Betters at 55 Bar in the West Village in NY.

10. Dua Lipa's video for "New Rules" has over 1 billion views, do you think that it encompasses what you wanted the song to show?

1 million percent. She absolutely killed that. I think the video took the song from being introspective to being quite inclusive, it gave the song a tone of bringing females together at a time when that message was really necessary and important. It was perfect.

11. What is your favorite song that you've ever written and why?

One of my favorites is a song called "I Don't Wanna Know" that I did with Astrid S. on her first EP. Astrid is amazing, and we did it with Nick Ruth who is also amazing, and the songwriting process was an absolutely cathartic experience. Another one of my favs is one I did with Scott Harris which will be on my album...

12. If you could only be a singer or songwriter which would you pick?

Songwriter

13. Many of your songs include metaphors, is it true to say that you like your music to make people think and feel something?

Definitely. Music has saved me from so many times and its always because I feel like the person singing knows exactly what I'm going through. I try to push it in my lyrics because I'm hoping in some way to pay it forward and return that favor.

14. What is your favorite era of music?

The 60s hands down!

15. Did you want to be a musician growing up or was there another career you wanted to pursue?

I wanted to be a fashion designer... then a painter... then a musician.

16. Who would you most love to collaborate with?

Rihanna.

17. What is your songwriting process?

I always like to figure out what I'm talking about first. Once I have the idea or concept I find it much easier to build the song around it.

18. What was your college major?

I majored in Music at the Clive Davis Institute at NYU.

19. Approximately how many songs have you written?

A thousand

20. What is your favorite lyric that you have ever written?

The lyrics in "I Don't Wanna Know" by Astrid!!! Or "Phone Down" which I did with the Lost Kings.

21. What is your favorite lyric written by somebody else?

"Jealous" by Labrinth or "I Can't Make You Love Me" Bonnie Raitt, or anything John Mayer says.

22. What do you love about songwriting?

Solving the puzzle and telling a story.

23. What is your favorite subject to write about?

Love!

24. Who is your favorite songwriter/ musician?

Now I'm really gonna sound like a fan girl but, yeah. John Mayer.

Spotify/ Apple Music/ YouTube (Official Music Video)

Follow her on Social Media!

Twitter

Instagram

Facebook

Spotify

YouTube