Should You Kiss Under The Mistletoe?
Health Wellness

To Embrace Or Not Embrace The Mistletoe

Deciding whether or not you should partake in a particular holiday tradition.

77
To Embrace Or Not Embrace The Mistletoe
https://unsplash.com/photos/rkfWePm1_iY

The mistletoe, in the holiday traditional sense, is the moment when two people kiss under a specific type of plant (mistletoe) or leafy arrangement for good luck. It is a tradition that has yet to die out, and so, leaves people ambivalent on whether they should take part in the tradition.

In embracing the mistletoe, people, especially those who have a high degree of liking for each other, can deepen their affection for each other. For some it can be an intimate moment that directly connects your feelings to a holiday season. Of course, some would argue Valentine's Day does that, and it does, but there is no specific tradition that has transcended time the way the mistletoe has done over decades. In partaking, you and another become part of that lineage of holiday tradition.

Often, one person of the pair first realizes they are both under the mistletoe and draws attention to it. So, the other person may be surprised or astonished that the mistletoe is hanging over them. In this recognition and realization, the pair must gesture or come to some sort of agreement to fully engage in the mistletoe kiss. And afterwards, the hope is that it brings a sense of happiness and joy to each of the pair, and helps them both get more into the holiday festive mood together, with good luck on the horizon.

And though all that sounds good, some people are not fans.

In not embracing the mistletoe, some people do not allow a tradition to dictate who or when they should kiss someone.

And that makes sense.

You should want to kiss someone because you want to, not because you feel pressured by a holiday tradition to do so. And, for some, the mistletoe can be an awkward and anxiety-provoking experience. You may wonder whether the other person truly wants to kiss you or not, whether the kiss would be good or not, or what it may mean for the both of you afterwards.

In that sense, some people avoid the kissing tradition altogether. They just may feel more comfortable dodging the experience and not risking the mistletoe affecting the dynamic between them.

But, ultimately, none of us know how things will turn out.

Kissing under the mistletoe could feel like one of the worst experiences in your entire life, or it could feel like one of the most significant positive experiences in your life. It definitely depends on you.

And in a way, it may depend on the person you are under the mistletoe with.

Having an opportunity to kiss the woman or man you are attractive to could be something you always hoped for.

Maybe, the mistletoe is worth embracing, if you are embracing it with someone you care for and want to grow closer to in the future.

Maybe the mistletoe allows you step out of your comfort zone, and let things play out as they will.

Maybe the mistletoe is just a fun experience to do with people of interest or friends for luck.

The bottom line is that everyone is entitled to partake or not in the tradition. And we are always able to create or evolve our own traditions too, if we feel this one could use an update.