Gail Honeyman’s Debut Novel ‘Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine’ Is A Great Summer Read

#1 New York Times Bestseller and soon to be major motion picture

54

"Beautifully written and incredibly funny, Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine is about the importance of friendship and human connection. I fell in love with Eleanor, an eccentric and regimented loner whose life beautifully unfolds after a chance encounter with a stranger; I think you will fall in love, too!" —Reese Witherspoon

Eleanor Oliphant is odd.

She lacks social skills and says whatever is on her mind, with no filter. Her life is carefully structured, she avoids social interactions spending her weekends with frozen pizza and vodka. The only person in Eleanor's life is her Mom but she is only accessible by phone. Basically, no one told Eleanor that her life should be better than just fine.

When Eleanor meets Raymond, the IT guy from her office, everything changes. Raymond is friendly, kind, and according to Eleanor's standards deeply unhygienic. When she and Raymond save an elderly gentleman who has fallen on the sidewalk, the three of them become friends. They are the type of friends who rescue one another from lives of isolation that they each have been living. Raymond's big heart will ultimately help Eleanor find a way to repair her damaged one.

'Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine' is also a Hello Sunshine Book Club pick to be turned into a film produced by Reese Witherspoon. It is a warm, heartfelt story, that is uplifting in its out-of-the-ordinary heroine. Eleanor's weirdness and deadpan/unconscious wit make a funny and beautiful journey.

This journey will teach the lesson that the only way to survive is to open your heart. It is hard not to love the characters in this novel, and feel for Eleanor's growth as she moves away from her secluded and isolated way of living. This novel fits the times with the world coming out of isolation to move back into normalcy and regain social lives.