Eighteen Inspirational Quotes from Children's Books

Why are children's novels so insightful?

35

As a child, I was an avid reader. Here are some quotes that have stuck with me as I have reread some of my most beloved childhood novels.

1. "Somewhere inside all of us is the power to change the world." - Roald Dahl, Matilda

2. "Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it?" - L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

3. "Life with its rules, its obligations, and its sonnets is like a sonnet: you're given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself." - Madeleine L'engle, A Wrinkle in Time

4. "You have been my friend. That in itself is a tremendous thing." - E.B. White, Charlotte's Web

5. "You're mad, bonkers, completely off your head. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are." - Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

6. "I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship." - Louisa May Alcott, Little Women

7. "So many things are possible just as long as you don't know they're impossible." - Norton Juster, The Phantom Tollbooth

8. "Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." - Kate DiCamillo, The Tale of Desperaux

9. “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss, The Cat in the Hat

10. "Sometimes you have to lie. But to yourself you must always tell the truth." - Louise Fitzhugh, Harriet the Spy

11. "How do spell love? You don't spell it, you feel it." - A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh

12. "Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

13. "If you look the right way, you can see that the whole world is a garden." - Frances Hodgson Burnett, The Secret Garden

14. "You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go

15. "Promise me you'll always remember: you're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh

16. "To live would be an awfully big adventure." - J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan

17. "You doubt your value. Don't run from who you are." C. S. Lewis, Prince Caspian

18. "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince