Books, Podcasts, Movies, And TV Shows To Help Educate Yourself On The #BlackLivesMatter Movement

Everyone needs to start educating themselves on this movement and start fighting for what is been long overdue.

16

The African American community has faced over 400 years of discrimination, segregation, oppression, and racism. Our education system in America has taught us that we are the 'Land of the Free', but that isn't the case. These peaceful protests are not just to bring justice for George Floyd, but to bring awareness and equality to the entire African American community. They have suffered for too long, and their community needs everyone's help. Here are some sources to start reading, listening, or watching to help better understand this movement. Educating ourselves is just one step, we need to educate, share, protest, vote, sign petition, and donate to this cause. I will never understand the pain that African Americans have felt throughout these past centuries, but I hear you, I see you, and I stand with you.

Books

The Color of Law - Richard Rothstein

So You Want To Talk About Race - Ijeoma Oulo

Beloved - Toni Morrison

Heavy: An American Memoir - Kiese Laymon

Me and White Supremacy - Layla F. Saad

White Fragility: Why It's So Hard For White People to Talk about Racism - Robin Dianglo

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings - Maya Angelou

Podcasts

1619 - NY Times

About Race

Seeing White

Pod for the Cause

Momentum: A Race Forward Podcast

Code Switch

Films and TV Shows

The Hate U Give

13th

American Son

Just Mercy

Black Power Mixtape

When They See Us

Dear White People

Hidden Figures

See You Yesterday

If Beale Street Could Talk