Jesse Pinkman Is The Best 'Breaking Bad' Character

Hear me out: he deserves the world.

104

Warning, there will be spoilers.

If you've never heard of or watched "Breaking Bad" - the show that aired on AMC and was created by Vince Gilligan - it's the story of how Walter White, a middle-aged high school chemistry teacher in Albuquerque, New Mexico becomes the mastermind behind a methamphetamine drug ring. All of this happens while Walt lies to his wife and son, tries to avoid being caught by his brother-in-law who is a DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) officer, and partners with a former student and druggie named Jesse Pinkman.

Jesse Pinkman, played by Aaron Paul, is introduced in the first season as the meth maker that Walt's brother-in-law (Hank) is investigating with the DEA. Walt, who is facing lung cancer and doesn't want to leave his family behind in financial ruin, finds Pinkman and decides to blackmail him into being his partner in cooking meth.

That's where Jesse's character arc starts, but where it ends is better. As the show progresses, Jesse stays as Walt's partner, who's practically manipulated into every bad situation that the pair is thrown into.

As Walt changes into the menacing villain of the story, feeding everyone lies and putting his whole family in danger, Pinkman starts to morally change for the better.

Character arcs are important in any film or television show, and typically, they are what drive people to pick a favorite character. Jesse Pinkman's character arc becomes shadowed by Walter White's arc and manipulation.

Jesse wanted to turn around his life as he started to become more invested in dealing and getting money from the meth he was cooking, rather than getting high. He bought his own place, and he was in a relationship. After Jane's death, he went to rehab and became sober, but he didn't want back into the business. Somehow, though, he was manipulated by Walt again. Towards the end of the show, he realizes Walt's manipulation and even says to Hank - "He can't keep getting away with it." Jesse wants a whole new life, but he ends up getting kidnapped and forced into making meth.

You start to feel sorry for his character because he wanted out so badly; he wanted to do something with his life and to have a family.

In the finale of the show, Jesse is asked to kill Walt by Walt himself, but he refuses because it's another manipulation so the blood is on Jesse's hands. He says no and escapes, finally free. The Netflix film "El Camino" is Jesse's story after escaping, and you finally see his character arc finish.

You learn that, while in captivity, he's abused and treated like an animal, which pulls on your heart strings. He goes on the hunt to get the cash that's hidden in Todd's apartment so he can start a life of his own in Alaska but with a new name and identity. In this same movie, you get to see a scene from the events of Episode 2x09 - "4 Days Out" (one of my personal favorite episodes). Jesse and Walt are eating in a diner and talking about what's next for Jesse, and Walt assumes he should go to college for business. However, Jesse wants to be in sports medicine, helping people's lives. Walt assumes he didn't finish high school, undermining Jesse and showing how he just sees him as his druggie partner who's a failure in life. However, Jesse did graduate high school, and he becomes highly offended.

In the end, Pinkman gets his freedom and a sense of control back in his life.

Jesse's character arc has him turn his whole life around so he gets to start over and be in control. Throughout the whole show, he's manipulated by people, whether it be Walt or Todd and his uncle's gang. He goes from being part of the bad to realizing it needs to be stopped and that it can't ruin anymore lives. He suffers a great deal of loss in the show, witnessing loved ones die in front of him. He becomes the good that Walt leaves behind, making his character one that's needed in the end.

Personally, Jesse is my favorite.

His character was misunderstood and undermined by everyone because he was labeled as a druggie, even though he was just as smart and strong as any other character. He wanted out, but he was manipulated to staying in, until he takes control of his own life and shows how strong of a character he is. He finally gets what he deserves, though, making him the best character in "Breaking Bad."