20 (Easy) Ways To Brighten Someone's Day

Make the world a little brighter by making just one person a little happier.

521
Stephanie Demetreon

We've all had days where things just haven't gone our way. You know what I'm talking about. Those days when you feel like the universe is working against you, where everything that could go wrong does, and the only thing that will make it better is just going home and going to bed. But sometimes it's not all bad; sometimes a family member, a friend, or even a stranger comes along and brightens your day a bit. They usually don't even realize they've made your day even the slightest bit better because it really doesn't take a lot to brighten someone's mood! Here are a bunch of ways you can make the world a little happier and a little nicer by actively trying to brighten someone's day.

1. Smile as you pass by.

2. Compliment their clothes -- in a not-creepy way!

3. See a pretty flower? Pick it and give it to someone.

4. Give a couple bucks to a homeless person.

5. Hold the door open for them.

Something you should always do IMO.

6. Compliment their make-up!

Make-up takes some skill; appreciate their masterpiece!

7. Buy someone food with the pay-it-forward method.

Pay for your meal as well as a meal or coffee for the next person in line.

8. Leave a nice Post-it note somewhere it will be seen.

Like in a public bathroom or on a car!

9. Walking your dog? Someone is going be to shy to ask to pet it, so if your dog is friendly, go up to them.

10. Think about someone throughout your day? Text them with a happy message!

11. Find something online that reminds you of someone in particular? Send it to them and bring a smile to their face!

12. Share something that makes you smile on social media for others to enjoy.

13. Call your mom.

It will always make her happy.

14. Ask if anyone needs anything when you get up from the table.

Be it friends, co-workers, or family, it's always a kind thing to do.

15. Say thank you. All. The. Time.

And mean it.

16. Tell someone a joke.

Your waitress, the Uber driver, someone you'll be around for more than ten seconds. Bonus points if it's a bad pun.

17. Hugs are always good (when you know the person).

18. Tell someone how much you appreciate them and mean it.

19. Bring back a silly phrase like 'groovy' and use it loud enough for people around you to hear and enjoy it.

20. Compliment their personality or intelligence -- something you cant just see from the outside.

There are dozens more ways you can brighten someone's day, you just have to give it a second of thought. The biggest thing is when you see an opportunity to help someone out or make someone happy, take it. Life will present you with lots of opportunities to be a good person and you should take advantage of every single one of those moments. Even if you're having a rough day, making someone else happy does wonders for improving your own mood. Go make the world a better place by being a better you.