Earthly And Heavenly Resolutions For The New Year

Making New Years resolutions can be tough, but making them for the Lord can change your life.

22

Hello All,

It's that time of year again... you know... time to make New Year resolutions that you will NEVER keep. What if I told you there was something you could do on top of making the traditional resolutions.

Instead of just sharing your earthly resolutions with friends and family, and making them about physical matters, why not share with the Lord your goals on how to strengthen your relationship with Him, and how to better live for Him? These would be known as your heavenly resolutions.

On top of saying, "I'm going to go to the gym every day", or "I'm going start eating more vegetables", think about what is going to help you in the long run, during your eternal life in heaven.

All of these earthly resolutions are good, and you should probably have a couple, but try to make some heavenly resolutions you could make to yourself, and to the Lord. Here are some suggestions, "I will pray twice a day", "I'm going to start reading a daily devotional", "I'm going to start going to church." If you truly mean these things, and communicate them to the Lord, He will make sure that they happen, even if it isn't blatantly obvious at the time.

If you are afraid or you don't know how to start this overwhelming task, let me offer you some helpful books and tips on how to get started:

Here are some daily devotional books that can be found on Amazon, Google, and most bookstores

My Utmost for His Highest- Oswald Chambers

Jesus Is Calling - Sarah Young

Trusting God day by Day- Joyce Meyer

Walking with God Day by Day- Martyn Lloyd- Jones

and many more, there are specific devotionals for couples, men, women, teens etc. Just look, they are out there!

* I suggest journaling along with these daily devotions, even if its just a sentence or two. Writing about how His word has helped you throughout the year, is fun to look back on at the end of the year, to see how you've grown in faith, look at the blessings in your life, and help you see the obstacles that you overcame that year.

Here are some apps for your phone or tablet, that may help you with your heavenly resolutions:

Dailybread: Bible Verse & Devotional

iDisciple

Daily Bible Inspirations- verses and devotions

Ending Your Day Right Devotional

Let me end by telling you my heavenly New Year resolution:

For 2017, I resolve to read a daily devotion, both night and day, and to complete a Bible study at a local church.

I hope that I have inspired you all to not only make your earthly, but heavenly New Years resolutions as well!

Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!