21 2000s Songs That Remind Me Of The Time Before I Had Responsibilities

Forever wishing I could go back to when things were simpler.

36

Remember back in elementary/middle school when the worst stress you had came from speed multiplication table tests? Here is a list of songs that might remind you of an easier time.

1. Kelis, "Milkshake"

The GIF probably describes what all of our parents were thinking when we'd sing along to this song. We clearly had no idea what she was talking about and that's what makes songs like this so funny and memorable. Kids thought she meant the drink, adults knew she meant her goods.

2. Gwen Stefani, "Hollaback Girl"

Okay, be honest, this song taught you how to spell bananas, and you probably still get really excited to scream the lyrics when this song plays.

3. Usher ft. Lil Jon & Ludacris, "Yeah 3x"

This song was pretty popular, in the club talking about taking 'shawty' home. BUT, at 6 years old, how am I supposed to know that? All I knew was Ludacris had a freak in the bed and Usher and Lil Jon were like 'YEAH!'

4. Beyonce, "Irreplaceable"

Let's be real, back then we had no idea what Beyonce was singing about, and the name of the song was not 'Irreplaceable' back then. It was 'To the Left, To the Left.'

5. Fountains of Wayne, "Stacy's Mom"

Back then hanging around the pool with Stacy and her mom sounded pretty fun, but today everyone wants to be Stacy's Mom. Who doesn't aspire to be the hot mom?

6. The All American Rejects, "Gives You Hell"

"I HOPE IT GIVES YOU H-E-DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS!" Because back then "hell" wasn't an appropriate word to say. And why the hell does this guy wake up in the evening?

7. Kanye West ft. Jamie Foxx, "Gold Digger"

Kanye is never afraid to call people out, as he's a man of no filter, but did you really pick up on all of his references in this song? It just sounded like maybe someone was robbing Kanye, but now that we are older, we can say it's a bit different than that.

8. T-Pain, "Low"

Everyone wanted a pair of apple bottom jeans and boots with tha fur after this song. But why are we getting low? I remember when T-Pain got to the part where he repeats 'low' eight times, and I would run out of breath trying to sing along.

9. Jordin Sparks & Chris Brown, "No Air"

Someone get these people an inhaler! I really thought they were suffocating, but really, they were just being dramatic. They can't live without each other and that makes so much sense now.

10. Beyonce, "Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)"

I remember my friends and I memorized the dance to this and performed it at our school's talent show, when we were like, 10. OF COURSE WE WERE SINGLE LADIES!!

11. Rihanna ft. Jay-Z, "Umbrella"

Rihanna had her UMBRELLA-ELLA-ELLA, so you better get your umbrella. Another song we probably didn't know the meaning behind, but we sure did love it when they played it on the radio.

12. Soulja Boy Tellem, "Crank That (Soulja Boy)"

At every school dance, this was the song. The entire school would bust out into dance. The 'crank that' part usually got out of hand, and people would tumble over each other. Good times right?

13. Nelly Furtado, "Promiscuous"

Okay, honestly did you even know what promiscuous meant when this came out?

14. Huey, "Pop, Lock and Drop It"

Pop, lock, and drop what? Who knows, but 5 year olds were definitely doing this dance in the basement with their cousins. Your cousins really aren't your cousins unless you had a dance party with songs like this.

15. Jesse McCartney, "Beautiful Soul"

Jesse, I have a beautiful soul and I am wondering where you have disappeared to. (Side note: apparently he has some tour dates in 2019, WHAT?)

16. Nelly, "Hot in Here"

When summer arrives we all still run to this song as a joke, but I don't think anyone is really taking their clothes off.

17. Plain White T's, "Hey There Delilah"

Who the heck is Delilah and why the heck is she so far away from this man? It made no sense, just like the rest of the love songs of the 2000s. Of course, I get it now. They are in a long distance relationship before social media really took off. I wonder if he and Delilah are doing okay now?

18. Outkast, "Ms. Jackson"

Who is Ms. Jackson and why are we saying sorry? Who knows, but 'I AM FOR REAAAAL!'

19. Shaggy, "It Wasn't Me"

I didn't know why he was on the counter and naked back then, but now I realize this guy was caught red handed.

20. Vanessa Carlton, "A Thousand Miles"

First of all, this song was in "White Chicks," and it is hilarious. Second of all, I know you can still jam to this song!

21. Jazmine Sullivan, "Bust Your Windows"

Is it just me or did a lot of women get cheated on and feel the need to destroy their ex's car? Anyway, we got some great songs out of it. This was a good shower song, even though I really had no idea what I was singing about.