Dyslexic and Proud ​

Dyslexic and Proud ​

I am not ashamed.

1091
Dyslexic and Proud ​

My whole life for as long as I can remember I have been ashamed of having a learning disability known as Dyslexia. It was the bane of my existence. I felt so different and dumb for this title I was given that I never wanted. I tried to hide it from everyone I possibly could because who would want to be friends with a girl who has a learning disorder? My mom bless her soul tried to make it as normal for me as possible. She also has Dyslexia and she wanted it to be seen as something that I should embrace rather than shun. Instead, it felt like someone chained a weight to my leg. I could walk and run but I will never be the best I can be.

For most of my life, I just tried to ignore the fact that I had dyslexia, out of sight out of mind right? It became so bad that I would get mad and fight my family anytime anyone would utter the word. It was a festering wound I couldn't seem to get rid of. But like a wound untreated it only gets worse, and so did my anger. I had anger for the world and for anyone I could throw it at. I couldn't seem to understand what I did to deserve this punishment. Why am I not like everyone else? Yet inside under all that anger lay a sad little girl who felt unworthy.

It took me a long time to come to an understanding of my dyslexia. We had been at war for the majority of my life so It wasn't something that came easy. Waving that white flag in the air took a lot of courage, but I knew it was time. The war was over but the scars remained, and dealing with those was no easy feat. Every time someone made a dyslexic joke my heart stopped beating. Until eventually I started laughing along with them. The hatred turned into a friendship and things got easier. I eventually told people close to me and my dirty little secret became a little less dirty.

Life flew by and I got older. I ended up learning a lot about myself In the process. I opened myself up and found people who were accepting of me for me. I met my first love and got my heart broken. I laughed out loud and danced like nobody was watching. I made mistakes and learned to laugh at them. I was learning how to love myself and not just the easy parts. Dyslexia is a part of me and always will be. I can run and hide and pretend it's not there but that doesn't change the fact. Dyslexia may be my title, but it does not define me. I DEFINE ME.

I love you Dyslexia. It was a long and treacherous journey but we made it. You shaped me into the fun-loving girl who stands before you now, and I am incredibly thankful for that. Being like everyone else Is boring and you taught me that. So anyone who has dyslexia I want you to take off those chains because it isn't your learning disorder that put them on...It's you. You are the only one holding you back, break free and be proud of who you are.

I am worthy.

I am Intelligent.

I am Dyslexic.