we need more movies like 'dumplin''

Move Over 'To All The Boys I've Loved Before', 'Dumplin' Is The Netflix Original Movie Of The Year

Sweet southern accents, cute boy with dimples, women and self love empowerment. Need I say more?

5096

I don't think I'm alone when I say that Netflix blessed us with some pretty good movies this year. And in perfect Netflix fashion, we were graced with one more beautiful Netflix original movie before the new year.

"Dumplin."

This is a coming of age drama that touches the heart of girls of all ages. This movie is for the 8-year-old who doesn't feel confident enough to wear her dress out because she thinks she doesn't look as pretty as her other friends. This is for the 13-year-old girl whose confidence is completely destroyed and doesn't know how beautiful she is. And this is for the worn out college girl who is losing her confidence, it's for you, and it's for me.

The movie opens with the song "Dumb Blonde" by Dolly Parton. The monologue begins with the sweet southern accent of Willowdean Opal Dickson (the beautiful southern name I have EVER heard). As you begin to hear her speak about how her beloved aunt practically raised her, you can already feel yourself be pulled into this characters life. A series of flashbacks occur and at this point, you're fully invested in this little girl's life.

The plot continues with a teenage girl who is riddled with insecurity and disapproval of herself and learns how to look at her self with stars in her eyes. As Jennifer Aniston, one of the most important main characters of this movie so beautifully said in a recent interview with Jimmy Kimmel,

This movie is about Willowdean loving herself and redefining what beauty is.

After a plethora of movies that try to convey confidence in young plus size women, this movie gives a whole new meaning on what it means to live life confidently, beautifully, and how to find the right people who love you for you who are.

The friendships in this film takes a beautiful turn on what it means to be a friend that empowers, loves well, and supports each other through her circumstance.

The music in this movie will make you want to jump out of your bed and dance, and I'm only saying that because that is exactly what I did. Most of all, this is a movie that reminds young women everywhere that they are beautiful, brave, confident, powerful, and a full force of courage and determination.

So grab your mom, your little sister, your big sister, your aunt, cousin, any important women in your life, and watch this. It will make you redefine what beauty is in the most breathtaking way.