Of Course Drinking Is NOT The Right Way To Deal With Depression

Let's stay healthy!

154

Depression and stress are common ailments, about 350 million people worldwide suffer from it. And those sufferers all have different ways to cope, whether through therapy, pills or other sorts of "correct" treatments.

However, there is one method that some people may resort to in order to cope... drinking.

And by that, I mean excessive drinking. Having a drink with dinner is fine, or even just one simple glass of wine after a long day at work is acceptable, but be careful that that one glass doesn't turn into two, and then three and then four...

Approximately a third of those who suffer from depression also suffer from a problem with alcohol, and admittedly, I am among that third myself. But I am also aware that drinking is not what I should be doing in order to cope.

Trust me, I know the feeling that drinking gives us, that we can do and accomplish anything, not just short-term, but in the long-term as well.

Booze does remove all inhibitions, but besides making us make fools of ourselves by doing something stupid, it can lead us to say hurtful things to those we care about. But it also has more harmful effects, physically, mentally and emotionally.

Studies have shown that alcohol can actually increase depression. That is because alcohol can mentally affect the drinker. It causes them to behave in a way that could affect their everyday lives, such as career, family and finances.

This would ultimately lead to more sadness.

Obviously, it is also not good for the physical body either. It doesn't just negatively impact your liver, but also your brain ("This is your brain, this is your brain on drugs..."), heart, pancreas and it can also lead to various cancers, according to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism.

Of course, I'm writing this as I have a glass of wine next to me, but as I said, the occasional drink won't hurt you.

And yes, I am aware that having zero drinks is the best option.

If you are having problems with alcohol, or believe you are starting to, search for your local Alcoholics Anonymous to get help. Also, Psychology Today will help you find a therapist if you are suffering from depression.