Drinking and Driving

Drinking And Driving Is NEVER The Answer

Is it really worth it?

49
Taylor Cust

We have all been out and gone to parties where people just had a little too much to drink and they were sent home. But did they make it safe? Did those they passed on the way maker it home too?

Liquid courage, jiggle juice, spirit, drinky drinks, whatever you want to call it. Alcohol has become an addition to any kind of party scene. I mean we all love to have a good time, whether it's going out with friends on the weekends or relaxing at home for a casual staycation. Alcohol, the ultimate party starter as some people say. Drinking and alcohol have become a social norm. So much so that those who don't drink frequently or haven't drunk are almost outcast or shunned because they no longer "fit in" with what's cool. Grab a couple of bottles of something and you can have yourself a grand ole time.

Now, this is all well and good, there is really no problem with having a few drinks when you're out with your friends or on a wine night with the girls as long as you do it responsibly.

One of the biggest issues that people have when it comes to the consumption of liquor is drinking and driving. Everyone thinks that "oh its fine I only had a few drinks," or "I'm a good driver I'll be fine." NO, that's not how it works.

The people who lost their moms, dads, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, sons daughters, don't feel as though it's "fine", they don't care that you're a good driver or that you only had a few drinks. Never again will they get to say I love you to them, or hear their voice, or hug and kiss them. All because someone thought that they were cool and could beat the odds.

People between the ages of 18 and 24 seem to be the most involved in these horrible fatalities. But why? Why do we feel the urge or the need to drink and drive? Why is that the people around us allow us to do these things? Why is it that we are so focused on having a good time and looking cool to everyone on all of our social media that we completely disregard the safety of ourselves and others?

Having a good time is never a bad thing but when it comes to being smart and keeping yourselves alive it's as if that thought never comes to mind. Most of the time people feel like they can do it once and it's whatever because I made it home safe. But that one time turns into two and then three and four and then eventually it's every time you go out. If nothing else, by doing this you've developed these horrible habits that can potentially get someone seriously injured or even killed. All of this for what? What do you possibly get out of doing dangerous things like this?

In today's day and age with things like Uber, Lyft and just cellphones, in general, there are hundreds of ways for you to find your way home if you are intoxicated of any kind. With that, I ask you to think of those around you. Your friends, your family, your friends' family, and even yourself. How would you feel if you lost a loved one due to someone else's poor decisions? Or even more so how would you feel if you were the person that caused someone to feel that kind of pain all because you thought it would be okay just this one time.

Drinking and driving is NEVER okay for any reason.

Call a friend or order an uber, whatever you have to do to keep yourself and those around you safe. Could you live with that kind of pain? You see that picture up there? That's a picture of me and some of my best friends. I honestly don't know what I would do without them. I couldn't imagine the pain I would feel if I lost one of them. The feeling of knowing I won't be able to see those radiant smiles anymore. I know I love my family and my friends too much to ever put them through that kind of pain whether it was my fault or not. I would never be able to live with myself either if I knew I was the one that put someone else through such terrible pain. Think about whether or not you want to be able to see those smiles of loved ones again tomorrow. Think about what you could do to help others around you live another day. Is it worth it?