Dreaming Big for God

Letters To God: Having Dreams Like Joseph

It's good to dream, especially when serving the Lord.

262

My preacher preached a sermon a few weeks ago on Genesis 37. Genesis 37 is about Joseph, one of the youngest sons of Jacob. Jacob revered Joseph because Joseph was born when Jacob was of old age. Genesis 37:3 is scriptural proof of this. Joseph dreamed two dreams where his eleven brothers and his parents would come and bow down to him. The first dream was about Joseph and his family binding sheaves in the field. Joseph's sheave stood upright while his family's sheaves gathered around Joseph's sheave and bowed down to it. The second dream of Joseph was about Joseph observing the sun, the moon and eleven stars bowing down to him.

The meaning of the dreams was that Joseph's whole family was going to bow down to him. Jacob, his father rebuked him saying "What is this dream you have dreamed? Shall I and your mother and your brothers indeed come to bow ourselves to the ground before you?" His brothers became jealous of him, but Jacob kept Joseph's dream in mind.

Studying in the Word about Joseph's dream inspired me to have some dreams of my own. Now my dreams didn't come through sleep like Joseph's did, but through the reflection of my own thoughts and spiritual life with the Lord.

The first of my dreams is to become a DJ for the Christian radio stations K-LOVE or Air-1. The discipleship of the K-LOVE and Air-1 stations has impacted my life in a lot of ways. Anytime I'm in the car, I would always turn the radio to K-LOVE. The love that is shown through that radio station is astounding to me and it impacts me whenever I listen to K-LOVE. I want to serve the Lord by sharing my voice with people to need God's love the most.

The second of my dreams is to use my journalistic gifts of writing well to give back to God. A theory of how this could happen is that I write for a Christian publication. Another theory is to write a book about helping people come to God in the midst of pain and heartbreak.

The third of my dreams is to become a Christian singer/songwriter. I love to sing and I would love to use my passion for singing to glorify the Lord. The Lord deserves all the praise we can give Him, and then some.

I have realized that so often reality sets in and forces us to abandon our dreams. We are told to abandon our dreams because "we need to live in the real world" or "grow up, be an adult and get a job." While people tell us this to protect us from heartbreak and disappointment, they are killing your dreams before you could see them come to fruition. I have seen many success stories of people having dreams of being somebody they wanted to be and through hard work and perseverance, their dreams came true.

Don't let anyone kill your dreams. Dream big and without limits. If it is God's will for you to be somebody you want to be, he will make it happen. In Matthew 6:31-33 and Matthew 7:7, it emphasizes the fact that if you seek the Lord first and his righteousness, anything you ask of the Lord, He will give to you in His timing. All you need to do is seek God first and his righteousness and be patient enough to see your dreams come to fruition. Pray hard for your dreams and you will see them come true. Believe they will come true.

God bless,

Matt Hasty