Draw Your Version Of Joy

Draw What Makes You Happy

When you're an artist or creator in a funk, sometimes it just takes putting a little of your own version of happiness in the world.

520
Draw What Makes You Happy

Every artist reaches the dreaded art block and it is a dreaded obstacle every single time. After all, we love to create art. Drawing, painting, and sketching are more than just a fun pastime for artists. In fact, it is a part of our lives as we try to see the world in a more creative way. Thus when your not-so-friendly neighborhood friend, art block, comes to town, we seem to sigh in dismay. Once again, it seems like it is time to hang up our pencils, our paint brushes, and our markers for a period of time until we can get our artist groove back in motion.

Art blocks are awful: we still feel the need to create and imagine, but our limbs don't want to cooperate. However, what about the times where the art block isn't the problem. What if, instead of wanting to create and physically we can't seem to, we don't want to create any type of art at all? What if the drive, not the physical prowess, was taken away from us. Suddenly, the thought of doing art isn't something longed for or admired. Instead, it is something to be dreaded and hated. What do you do in moments where the thing you absolutely loved to do more than anything in the world becomes the thing you hate most in your daily life?

Sometimes, it is hard to keep going when the thing you love doesn't bring you as much joy as it did before. However, sometimes you have to look around the problem in order to find the proper solution. When you are looking at a blank canvas, a blank piece of paper, or a blank computer screen, you just have to ask yourself: "What makes me happy?" Once you find the answer to that question, you sit down and you create that thing. If dogs make you happy, paint a dog. If you love a movie or a TV show, create art for it. If you love sunsets, draw your very best sunset. Sometimes, when you find yourself completely uninspired to do anything, you have to ask yourself what it is that you like in the world.

After all, art is created because there is something that the artist likes incorporated within the piece. Sometimes it is hard to remember this fact as art is often placed within the realm of consumer culture; paintings and drawings are often created so that others can look at them and find joy. However, it is incredibly important to remember that art shouldn't be about the other person who will look at it. In the end, it isn't completely about the judgment that others can pass onto a painting or sketch. Overall, it is about the joy and happiness that comes with creating the piece and what the artist loves about the contents. In the end, it is about the artist's joy and happiness in making art, not letting other people view art.

Don't let the fear of not being able to create well stop you from following your greatest passions. Mistakes happen all the time, but the wonderful thing is that they are never truly permanent. We make them, we learn from them, and then we grow as people. Mistakes are just cobblestones in the road to improvements and happiness. After all, most people aren't born with talent and skill. Instead, one must work and practice in order to properly hone and better their craft. So, mistakes aren't just expected, they are encouraged. They are just learning experiences waiting to happen and shouldn't be roadblocks in your journey of joy.

If you are an artist and love to create, don't let a moment of discouragement stop you from doing the thing you love. Instead, find that bit of happiness in the world and make something truly beautiful.