Let's be honest, "Downton Abbey" is one of the greatest TV shows of the last 10 years. There, I said it. Whether it was their blissful romances or heartbreaking tragedies, Downton had us enthralled for 6 seasons and now we are finally getting what we didn't know we needed, a "Downton Abbey" movie. Now we will be #blessed again with all the gloriousness that is Maggie Smith, from her amazing attitude to her unforgettable one-liners. The Dowager Countess of Grantham always had the best quips and I'm sure there will be plenty more in the upcoming film. To celebrate that fact, I took the liberty of compiling her greatest quotes. You're welcome.
2. Isobel: "Oh how you hate to be wrong." Violet: "I wouldn't know, I'm not familiar with the sensation."
Hands down, best line in Downton Abbey history.
3. "In my day, a lady was incapable of feeling physical attraction until she had been instructed to do so by her mother."
Wow, that's a lot of sexual repression.
4. "I know several couples who are perfectly happy. Haven't spoken in years."
Albeit a rather untraditional take on marriage, but whatever floats your boat.
5. "All of life is a series of problems which we must try and solve, first one and then the next and then the next, until at last we die."
Ahh Maggie Smith, always the optimist.
6. "I'm so looking forward to seeing your mother again. When I'm with her, I'm reminded of the virtues of the English."Giphy
The rivalry between Maggie Smith and Cora's American mother, Shirley McClain, was one for the ages.
7. "You're a woman with a brain and reasonable ability. Stop whining and find something to do."
A valuable lesson for us all.
8. Cora: "I take that as a compliment." Violet: "I must have said it wrong."
Cora you better grab some aloe vera because you just got burned.
9. "I was right about my maid. She's leaving to get married. I mean, how could she be so selfish?"
I don't think there is one person in the world that didn't laugh at this line.
10. Cora: "I think Granny's right." Violet: "Could somebody write that down?"
No one loved to be proven right more than the Dowager.
11. "Lawyers are always confident before the verdict, it's only afterwards they share their doubts."
Damn right Maggie, damn right.
15. Isobel: "Servants are human beings too." Violet: "Yes, but preferably only on their days off."