The Do's And Do Not's Of Big/Little Reveal

A guide to making your special day even more special.

2778

When joining a sorority, every new member looks forward to finding the sophomore pledge class member that ends up being their long lost sister. It’s the girl that connects with them the most; they share similar interests, they make them feel at home, and they feel like they’ve known them their whole life. It’s their Big sister. To any person not Greek affiliated, the process seems simple as pie, but every sorority girl knows just how stressful it really is. So, future sorority gals, here are the do’s and do not’s of picking your Big sister from another mister. Prepare to get educated.

DO try your best to meet everyone.

Now when I say everyone, I mean as many as possible. If there are 65 sophomores, don’t kill yourself eating fro-yo 65 times. All I’m saying is go out of your comfort zone to approach new people. That’s the only way you’ll find someone you feel most connected to. There’s a theory out there saying the more options, the better the outcome. I think.

DO NOT close yourself off to one person.

This is literally the exact opposite of the above Do. That’s like saying, “I like mashed potatoes a lot, so I’m only going to eat mashed potatoes for the rest of my life.” Don’t get me wrong, mashed potatoes are bomb, but I need some variety in my life. Get the analogy?

DO make room for all the stuff you’re about to get.

Your big loves you so much and therefore will shower you with gifts. Lots and lots of gifts. You will have enough T-shirts to not do laundry for a month, and enough canvases to cover every square inch of your room. So consider where you might put these things, and how you’re going to ask your roommate for extra desk space (good luck).

DO NOT be sad if you get less than someone else.

Don’t be that person. No one likes a superficial you-know-what. Besides, that is TOTALLY NOT what Big/Little is about. Yes, getting gifts is great, but having someone that truly cares for your well being in the sorority is better than any monogram canvas. The relationship you have with your Big sister is one you will never lose, and you will cherish it forever.

DO freak the freak out when you finally figure out who they are.

The anticipation of getting your Big is seriously terrible, and you’ll have the worst butterflies in your stomach. Most sororities play little tricks, and have scavenger hunts for clues on the actual reveal day, which makes the butterflies in your stomach 10 times worse. When you open that door, or flip over that box, you better get ready to scream like a crazed person and tackle your Biggie.

DO NOT let any factors get in the way of how special this day is.

You will remember this day for the rest of your life. It ranks up there with bid day on special day rankings. So if you scrape your knee or fail a test, just remember what you’re about to gain and turn that frown upside down!

So future sorority ladies, when this special day comes, keep these words of advice in mind. Trust me when I say it will keep you from fretting, and give you the best experience you could ever get.