Starting a new semester

The Do's and Don'ts Of A New Semester

Starting fresh at the beginning of the semester can be overwhelming but we all settle in eventually.

61
The Do's and Don'ts Of A New Semester
kaboompics

The beginning of the semester can be overwhelming and a little much to handle after an extended break most likely spent doing nothing or next to nothing.

It is likely that there are a couple things you wish you could change about the way you approached the beginning of this semester. I know there are quite a few things I would change. Here is a list of a few ways to approach next semester so it goes a little more smoothly.

Do:

Keep a planner

As you get a syllabus for each class, it can be overwhelming keeping track of all of the dates and assignments for the semester. After a couple weeks, it is pretty easy to keep track of each class and the general ebb and flow of assignments. But, at the beginning it can be a tornado of assignments and it can be easy to lose track of everything. Have a planner and start writing down the assignments for the semester. Try color-coding them by class so you can keep track what you need to do for each class.

Do:

Meet with your professors

Make sure you get to know your professors and they get to know you. If you have not had them before it will be hard for them to understand how you learn and what you need from them. If you establish this early in the semester, it spares you anxiety leading up to your first couple assignments. If you do not approach them early in the semester, it might be halfway through the semester or later before they understand how you learn and by then it is too late. It is also just fun in general to get to know your professors. They are usually pretty interesting people and it will make the class go so much easier.

Don't:

Procrastinate

Yeah, yeah – everyone tells you not to procrastinate. But, that is because it is some of the best advice to listen to. If you procrastinate at the beginning of the semester, it will be an uphill battle all semester to catch up.

Do:

Get ahead

Syllabus week can be pretty laid-back. Start getting ahead or taking care of things you might not be able to do when the semester is in full swing. Take advantage of this time.

Don't:

Wait until the last minute to buy books

It is so much easier to buy books the week before class instead of waiting until the professor starts giving out assignments. You never want to be the person who cannot do their homework because the book is still coming in the mail.

Do:

Breathe

Until you become familiar with the classes, they can be a little overwhelming. It is quite daunting to start at the beginning a semester with weeks of classes in front of you. Just take everything a day at a time and before you know it, you will have another semester in the books. So, just breathe and try to enjoy your time in college.