Items You Won't Need To Pack For Your Freshman Year Of College

Trust Me, Leave These 12 Items At Home When You Move Into Your Freshman Year Dorm

With next to no counter/desk space, I've learned to skip on any knickknacks or decorations that aren't going to be hanging on the wall.

546

Last summer, before my sophomore year of college, I wrote an article listing some of the most forgettable items before freshmen year you might not want to forget. Now, I'd like to recommend some of the things that are worth leaving at home based on my experience, and you'll thank yourself later when you don't have to lug a few extra items in on move-in day.

1. A printer

My school, as well as many others I've heard of, gives you a monetary value in printing per semester or year, already included in the price you're paying in tuition/other fees. Save yourself the hassle of bringing the printer, ink cartridges, and paper and use your on-campus services instead.

2. Purses and handbags

At home, I can't leave the house without bringing my purse stuffed with my wallet, sunglasses, and everything else I always use. But at school, I always bring a few purses that just sit in my closet, since I normally just carry my lanyard and ID card. You certainly won't need it going to class, and probably won't want to forget it at the other places you end up at.

3. A TV

This is one I'm on the fence about, but after two full years of bringing a TV and counting on one hand how many times I used it, I will definitely be leaving mine at home this year. My only exception to this rule is if you're bringing a gaming system, but if you plan on using your TV for shows, just stick to watching them on your laptop (like I've done).

4. Most appliances

Chances are, your college provides you with a mini fridge or gives you the ability to rent/buy one. Beyond a mini fridge/microwave combo (what my school provided), you won't be using blenders, toasters, or any other mini appliance you'll "definitely use every day." Most of those gadgets are better left at home, especially if you have a campus meal plan. Some schools won't even allow these, so don't go through the hassle of bringing them.

5. High school T-shirts

Freshmen year, I packed about 20 T-shirts from high school and wore them for about the first two weeks before never really touching them again. I got so many free shirts (and some I bought), that I just didn't want to wear the high school ones anymore. A few might be a good idea for that first month, but besides that, leave them at home!

6. Professional/formal clothes

Unless you're a business major (like myself) and may need a few suits for events here and there, the vast majority of students don't need to waste closet space on suits and dress clothes. This also goes for "dress-up" clothes as well. Until I joined Greek life, I had no occasion to wear a fancy dress, and even then only one or two is needed, especially if you can swap with friends.

7. Too many decorations

Both years, I've loved covering my walls with canvases and string lights (making command strips a holy grail), but with next to no counter/desk space, I've learned to skip on any knickknacks or decorations that aren't going to be hanging on the wall. Leave those decorative candles or other dresser-top decorations for your house.

8. Extra furniture

Your school will probably issue you a bed, dresser, desk, and chair, and not too much else. You might think you just have to bring your favorite fuzzy chair with you, but chances are that you either won't have the room in your too-small dorm for it or that it'll just become a location for throwing all your stuff on. Save any of those purchases for once you're moved in and see what you have space for or will actually use.

9. A tool kit

If you're in a standard dorm room, you will definitely not need a hammer, screwdriver, or anything else found in your typical toolbox. The closest I came to using a "tool" was a command hook, and when a window shade broke, maintenance came and replaced it (not that I would even know how to do it anyway).

10. Computer lock

Before heading to school, I saw a bunch of articles recommend bringing a computer lock. In my two years, I've never found a need for one, and frankly I don't think I've ever met/seen anyone actually use one. Leaving it behind in your locked dorm room means it's perfectly safe, and just use the same precautions you would with any other valuables when at the library or other public place.

11. Numerous mugs/refillable bottles

Unless you plan on hosting an entire coffee shop in your dorm, you don't need more than one or two mugs or refillable bottoms. Not only does it just junk up wherever you place all of them, but it gives you way too many extra unnecessary things to clean. Don't leave them all at home, because having a refillable bottle is more convenient than constantly having plastic bottles, but don't go overboard.

12. Excessive luggage

This one is definitely dependent on your distance/accessibility to home, but I've found that bringing everything in large Rubbermaid containers, which I then can store under the bed with off-season clothes, is more convenient than numerous bulky suitcases. Even cardboard boxes may make better use of space when moving in or out.