Don't Write For The Glory

Don't Write For The Glory

Write Because It Makes You And/Or Your Audience Happy

23
Don't Write For The Glory
younews.com

There is no glory in writing. It’s just a façade writers tell themselves to justify following their passions.

We all have those weird kids from school. The shy quiet ones, who haven’t mastered the art of social conversation. They are outcasts, operating in their own little world because they can’t operate in the normal ones.

Our media tries to convince us not to other these outcasts, they might be great at something after all. That socially awkward kid you used to bully in high school might very well be a genius, or possess some sort of super powers that would justify their legitimacy as a functional member of society.

Writers are in this same boat. We don’t hold normal jobs. Unless we work for an established publication, we don’t have normal hours. We produce stories, essays, and everything under the sun, and we stroll in and out of the public eye even though many of us are un-equipped to do so. When we become famous or successful, we look back on our labor, we tell ourselves that all those years of obscurity, of writing as a hobby instead of a profession was worth it, as if money, fame, and critical reception can make up for our shortcomings as human beings.

Success should not be the reason why we accept that weird kid at school, or take an unorthodox profession seriously. Not every creative is successful, in fact, the vast majority of us aren’t. Our work will only be read by a small fraction of people in the world, most likely just our close family and friends. Most of us don’t become mega-popular, and a vast majority of us don’t even produce fantastic work.

What we should so as a society is step away from conformity. Don’t other those who are different than you. Be open to new ideas and perspectives, it could lead to you developing good connections and friendships.

Don’t be uncritical of your behavior. If you’re doing something, please don’t do it out of obligation to fit in. Don’t obey the hive-mind. Be a well-rounded individual.

Please don’t justify doing what you love with the approval of others. Being a successful creative is very rare, and it takes years of dedication, even with natural talent.

Don’t write off your personal failures as sacrifices for your work. Being a writer isn’t a free pass to be a douchebag.

Similarly, don’t be afraid to stand up for what you believe is right. Society has been wrong before, and will be wrong again for years to come. Some things are worth making a stand for, and it is important to realize that not all backlash is in the right.

And for heaven’s sake, don’t do it for the glory. Too much pride will make you lose touch with society, and will affect your personal relationships and work life. You’re not a god, and you never will be one. Even Charles Dickinson was merely a man.

We all want to do something great, and that’s a noble goal to have, but it shouldn’t be your only reason for writing. Don’t write for the glory, do it for your audience or for yourself.