Why I Won't Write About Politics

Why I Won't Write About Politics

The P word

17
Why I Won't Write About Politics
Politico

Alright *cracks fingers* here we go.

This is a topic that has been brought up by many a friend, family member, and teacher. They see all my rants on Facebook, they hear me talk about it all the time, it takes up about 90% of any timeline on any social media site, so why don't I write about it? Why won't I put the P word into my writing?

The word, of course, is politics, a word that many dare not utter at the dinner table. A topic one might merely skim over when meeting a significant other's parents, and for good reason. A good reason that is the SAME reason as I won't write about it.

Everyone gets so. damn. angry.

Really. That's the only reason. I lean far left, and everyone who shares the same political views as me is pissed of right now. Then, when the far left talks about being pissed off, everyone on the other end of the spectrum gets pissed off because they don't agree with that reasoning (which is totally cool. I'm not trying to make anyone angry with this article!). Then when they get pissed off, the left gets more pissed off, and then everyone in the middle is pissed off because they just want everyone on both sides to chill out and shut up. Women are pissed off, men are pissed off, children are pissed off. It seems as if every race, religion, nationality, gender, sex, sexuality... basically everyone ever is pissed off. Trump is even pissed off most of the time. It's like you bring up politics and everyone in the world becomes a moody, preteen in the throws of menstruation. It's utter madness.

Yes. I understand why people are angry, but I'm not here to agree with one side or the other. I'm just so tired of seeing everyone hurt and angry and sad. I spent a whole lot of my life hurt and angry and sad, and I just don't want to do it anymore. When I was in that hurt, angry, sad part of my life, writing is what I turned to to make it better. It's a catharsis, which means an emotional release, so why would I write a whole article that would just piss off half of the people who read it?

I also grew up with a writer. My mother has been writing for the newspaper since before I was born. She serves as in inspiration to me every single day. The first thing she told me when I started writing was to "never use writing as a weapon". As much as I don't like the government right now, or the thoughts some of the government supporters have, I would never ever ever ever want to write something that would be malicious about any of the government workers, supporters, or even our president. Regardless of how I feel about them, or their views, WRITING IS NOT A WEAPON. That is not what this is about, nor should it ever be what writing is about.

Writing is an art. It takes time to develop it, and it can be used to help a lot of people. I try to use my writing to help people. I know I write about a lot of stupid things, like boys who have been rude to me, or some other irrelevant thing, but from what I know, that makes people smile. If my writing can make one person, even if it's just a friend or family member, smile, or giggle, or just stop thinking about all of the hurt and bad in the world I will feel like I've done something way bigger than if I just shared the quite irrelevant opinion of a college freshman that would provoke any type of bad feeling in anyone. Why make people feel bad when you can do the exact same thing and have the opposite effect? Make someone's day! Make them feel good about themselves! Everyone has such a negative view of the world recently, but writing is here to make it feel a lot less terrible.