Dear Kevin Spacey, Don't Use Being Gay To Justify Committing A Crime

Doesn't the LBGTQA+ community have enough to deal with already?

53
Instagram

As someone who wants to commit her life to being an advocate and a voice to the disenfranchised people of the world, I am deeply offended by not only Kevin Spacey's actions, but the way he chose to apologize. When Broadway and movie actor Anthony Rapp did an interview with Buzzfeed claiming that Spacey had tried to make sexual advances to him while he was a minor, my views of Spacey changed forever. It only made matters worse when Kevin Spacey took to Twitter to use his apology to Rapp to not only quasi-deny the allegations but to come out as a gay man.

I am an active member of the Human Rights Campaign; I have been since I was 19. I have multiple friends and family members who are part of the LBGTQA+ community. I am all for coming out...but not when you're also apologizing for sexually assaulting a minor in the same sentence.

Spacey writes on an October 29th Twitter post: "But if I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior, and I am sorry for the feelings he describes having carried around with him all these years." notice something off about that line? "if I did behave then as he describes". Meaning Spacey doesn't recall his actions, therefore he's not really issuing an apology because he can't remember. This is a classic case of the "I'm Sorry You Were Offended" apology.

There are times in life when everyone needs to apologize. But using the "I'm Sorry You Were Offended" is even worse than not apologizing at all. At least when you don't apologize for your actions, the message is crystal clear to the other person. This half-hazard apology Spacey wrote not only shoves the blame off of himself but uses being gay as a diversion tactic to personally victimize himself in the eyes of the media.

By saying he is a gay man, Spacey is justifying the actions he made because he was gay, not because he was drunk and sexually assaulted a minor. Spacey is using drinking heavily and coming out as an excuse to hide behind instead of fully owning up to his mistakes. Normally when a celebrity comes out as gay, the community and fellow actors generally tend to support them and their choice.

Spacey's coming out tweet on the other hand, was widely viewed as terrible. I think most celebrities and Americans shared a similar view that can be summed up in an October 30th tweet by openly gay comedian Billy Eichner, "Kevin Spacey has just invented something that has never existed before: a bad time to come out."

Not only was Kevin Spacey's apology not really even an apology, but he just tacks on his coming out as a gay man like one would add an order of garlic knots to their late night pizza order. Nonchalantly and with very little guilt.

The bottom line is that it's okay to come out as gay. It's 2017, for the most part, people are cool with it. On the other hand, it is in no shape or form okay sexually assault a minor. By adding the two together, the general population's reaction is going to be seen as negative. The LBGTQA+ community has to deal with discrimination, ignorance, harassment, and even violence every single day.

Listen up Kevin or anyone else who wants to use coming out to justify their illegal actions: The LBGTQA+ community will not support you. There are shitty gay people in this world that do bad things and there are shitty straight people in this world that do bad things. Your sexuality does not justify doing bad things.

The community you now claim part of is not a defense wall for you to stand behind or a pack of rabid attack dogs that will fight for your honor. If you did something wrong, you did something wrong. It doesn't matter what your sexuality is....it's illegal.

The sadly ironic fact of it all is that when Kevin Spacey came out as a gay man but also defended and denied his sexual assault accusations, he gave fuel to his new opposition. His words and actions have made it easier for people to attack the community he now claims membership of.