Don't Tell Me To Love Nature When It Won't Love Me Back

They only want my energy

15
KC Poe

I see advertisements for us to save energy by "going green," using recyclable materials, and other means to taking better care of our Earth. That's lovely. That's wonderful. That's something that we should do for the sake of practicality.

BUT DON'T TELL ME TO LOVE NATURE WHEN IT CAN'T LOVE ME BACK.

They tell me to be a tree hugger, but have they ever actually hugged a tree? What if the tree has a parasite on it that has spores and fungi? What if the tree is actually covered in bacteria that could infect me and get me sick?

Don't force me to use an emotion for an entity that is more worthy. Why is nature worthy of my love when it has not earned it? What makes it so deserving?

I don't think it deserves my love. Once, while embarking upon a newfound trail in the midst of nature, I tried to sing Colors of the Wind from Disney's Pocahontas. Guess what happened: the birds found me frightful and flew away. I refuse to consider this as an insinuation about my singing abilities. Those birds flew away from me because they do not love me. They do not care about what happens to me. My singing was not enticing for them. MY SINGING WASN'T EVEN "FOR THE BIRDS."

Another time, I tried to sing "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes" to a field mouse. Did it make a cute dress for me just like Cinderella? No.

Disney movies have a peculiar way of advertising how some animals can love us back—animals that are not domesticated.

DISNEY IS AND WAS WRONG.

These animals are not our friends. Some of them were carriers of the plague, which was our civilization's downfall. There are various types of influenza that are literally named after the animals that carry them: bird flu and swine flu.

Don't tell me to love something that cannot love me back. These animals are more interested in participating in the ever-evolving food web. They want my energy, and nothing else.

I don't want my energy to run into the continuous circle of life. The circle of life is a grand way of pretending that we may be eaten by a predator or attacked by a predator. Let's not glamourize the process.

I am glad I don't have to be eaten by a tiger because that is what would happen if I lived in a specific part of nature.

Therefore, I do think that nature should be controlled. I do think we should respect nature and respect its delicate state of existence.

But don't tell me to love nature when it does not love me back.