College Student, It's OK If You Don't Have It Figured Out

Dear College Student, It’s OK If You Don’t Have It All Figured Out

None of us do

30
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bpuv6ijHC8C/
thebrookedavis

I feel like there is SO much pressure placed on college students to know exactly what we want to do. We are expected to know exactly where we are going with our majors and to get internships to help us achieve those specific career goals. I think people who place this kind of pressure on students forget that we are only 18, 19, and 20. Asking us to have an exact plan is basically like asking us to be sure of what we want to do for the rest of our lives--and to lock ourselves into doing that one thing.

I have news for those people--you never have to have it all figured out. We're human. We're constantly growing and changing. Things happen. Life happens. People change. What seems right to our 19-year-old selves might be the furthest thing from what seems right to our 50-year-old selves--and there's no way to plan it out because we never know what life has in store for us.

In my opinion, the free time that you spend stressing over where you're going to be in 10 years is wasted free time. Enjoy where you're at right now, at this moment. I know everyone says it and it sounds corny, but we are never going to get these years back. Many of us are experiencing a very different kind of independence--we live away from home, but we aren't worried about paying bills yet (at least not to the extent that a working adult worries). We basically wish these precious years away by being so future-oriented--and I'm guilty of it too.

Don't get me wrong, planning for the future is definitely important--but only to a certain extent. Instead of worrying about our housing for next year, or our jobs when we graduate, let's just plan for what's in front of us (like a summer internship). Then we can tackle the next thing and, in the meantime, let's just enjoy these precious years of our youth. There's beauty is not having it all figured out--we never know what the future holds.