10 Rules For Proper Gym Etiquette

10 Rules For Proper Gym Etiquette

Don't be "that person."

329
10 Rules For Proper Gym Etiquette

I've been going to the gym every day now for the past two years. You start to learn a thing or two. There is such a thing called "gym etiquette." My hope is that this article will enlighten people of best practices when working out at the gym.

1. Don't use multiple weights at a time

Nothing is more irritating than not being able to use your appropriate set of weights because someone feels the need to use a set of 15s, 20s, and 25s all at once. Share the weights!!

2. Don't leave your weights laying around

It's really quite simple and mere common courtesy. Re-rack your weights. My biggest pet peeve is when someone leaves a lifting rack without cleaning the weights off. I can't tell if they are done or going to come back.

3. Don't stand in front of someone using the mirror

It still baffles me every time I see someone walk over and stand in front of another person who is working out using the mirror. The mirror is used to monitor technique, and people should be respectful of that.

4. Don't invade someone's personal space

I understand that the gym can get crowded and everyone just wants to do their workout and leave, but don't make yourself a spot where there isn't space.

5. Don't assume every piece of equipment is available

If you are unsure if someone is still using a machine or piece of equipment - ask! That person might be in the middle of a rest and stepped away to recover.

6. Don't stare

Some people avoid going to the gym because they don't want people to stare at them. No matter how long you've been going to the gym, whenever someone stares at you it makes you very uncomfortable.

7. Wipe down the equipment after use

Did you know that the gym is one of the germiest places? Keeping that in mind, there are rules at every gym that require members to wipe down equipment with disinfectant spray.

8. Respect the headphones

This is basically the unspoken rule, but when someone has headphones in and is working out, don't try to talk to them. 1) they can't hear you and 2) they are trying to focus.

9. Be conscious of your surroundings

Every gym provides towels to members - use them. Instead of dripping and leaving sweat stains everywhere, wipe yourself off.