I Don't Want Freshman Year To End

I Don't Want Freshman Year To End

With only a month left of freshman year, I'm not sure if I'm ready to be a sophomore just yet.

24
Libby Lee McDaniel

One thing I have been told repeatedly by the upperclassmen is "freshman year of college is the best year." This statement always gives me mixed emotions. It makes me happy because being a freshman in college has been one of the best experiences of my life. On the other hand, this statement disappoints me. Does this mean that college only gets worse from here? Although I am still a freshman, I have a feeling college will get better, but better in a different way. I will learn, I will grow, and I will achieve. But there's no denying that freshman year is great.

One of the best parts of freshman year is the newness of everything. New places, new people, new experiences… there is so much to learn freshman year. The first day of classes fall semester I walked thirty minutes in eighty-degree weather to one of my classes because I was too scared to use the buses…I never made that mistake again. It's all a learning process. When I first came to UGA, I had no idea where anything was on campus. Now I know this place like the back of my hand. Not only have I learned so much about my school, but also myself. Through each new person I meet, or new experience I have, I learn a little more about myself.

Another reason freshman year is so great is the environment. Living in a high-rise freshman dorm may not sound that appealing, but I am so glad I decided to live in one. I have met so many new people through living here, and also had the best roommate. The high-rise freshman doors are so lively, and there is no shortage of people who are there for you when you need help. The dining halls also carry the same atmosphere at the dorms. It's comforting being surrounded by people who are experiencing the same things you are.

All in all, freshman year has treated me right. Although I am excited to continue on my college career as a sophomore, I will always cherish the memories I have made through my first year.