My hot take on why I suddenly like video games

I used to hate video games and the idea of actually sitting down and playing one. Recently, I have found a new love for playing video games and I explain why

1

I used to be the type of person that would stay away from video games as much as I could. I hated the idea of sitting behind a computer and playing games while wasting hours on end when I could be doing something way more productive. It also wasn't nice when everyone around me was a hardcore gamer.

I remember hating my friends for always ignoring me as they played their video games. I made a vow to myself that I would never turn into the hardcore gamers that my friends have become.

This all changed when the world decided to explode and I was stuck at home with nothing to do. I missed my friends and I felt so disconnected from everyone, especially my boyfriend who I haven't seen for almost 6 months now. I decided to purchase a Nintendo Switch and dive into the world of Animal Crossing. I thought that would be the only game I would get and pay attention to, but that also changed when I was convinced to get other games.

To put it simply, I now owe my sanity to video games. I was now spending my days doing a little bit of summer schoolwork and then giving myself the reward of playing video games later. It also is a really nice way to connect with my friends and boyfriend.

I changed my mindset from hating video games to actually enjoying the story behind some of the games. It only took a global pandemic for me to get there, but here we are.

It makes no sense but video games are actually helping me have a happier outlook on life. I lost practically all of my summer plans and somehow, I can take my mind away from the negatives of life but just pressing play on Animal Crossing.

I do have to say a disclaimer: I am never going to become a hardcore gamer like some of my friends because I still think that playing too much video games is bad on productivity and also my prescription number. I am using video games as a time filler. It is something I turn to when I truly have nothing else to do. It is the thing I turn to when I need a smile here and there.

I think that if you are out there and have the same mindset as me that video games are the worse thing in the universe, I recommend taking the time and actually investing in a game. Maybe don't start with the super hard games, but Animal Crossing or something soothing might change your mindset.

I owe video games a lot for helping me have a better summer.