Donald Trump's Latest Mistake

Donald Trump's Latest Mistake

He somehow just gets worse and worse.

42
Donald Trump's Latest Mistake
Whitehouse.gov

On October 3rd, President Trump visited Puerto Rico an island that has been ravaged by Hurricane Maria. Donald threw paper towels at the crowd who gathered to see him just outside of San Juan as if they were at a baseball game, and he was tossing t-shirts. As if that wasn't already degrading, Trump also said this:

"Every death is a horror, but if you look at a real catastrophe like Katrina, and you look at the tremendous — hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of people that died, and you look at what happened here, with really a storm that was just totally overpowering, nobody's ever seen anything like this. What is your death count as of this moment? 17? 16 people certified, 16 people versus in the thousands. You can be very proud of all of your people and all of our people working together. Sixteen versus literally thousands of people. You can be very proud. Everybody around this table and everybody watching can really be very proud of what's taken place in Puerto Rico." - Donald Trump (taken from CNNpolitics by Chris Cillizza)

I could end this article right here, and that would be enough as Trump's comments speak for themselves. Trump's careless and rude comments are not surprising, but it is scary that we have come to expect this. Trump has the most powerful seat in the US, and know he is going to other places in times of crisis and acting like the unprofessional we all, here in America, know he is. If America did not lose enough respect upon Donald being elected into office, we are certainly getting to a point where the rest of the world will have no respect left.

Donald, throwing paper towels at people is not a proper way to provide aid and resources. The individuals have just been through a horror that destroyed virtually their entire island, be that as it may, you don't think it's a real tragedy Donald, but we will get to that later. They have been through a tragedy, and they do not deserve to be treated with such little respect. They are in need and the job of a president is not to throw desperately needed supplies at them but to provide a way for the citizens of Puerto Rico to get back on their feet.

Next, your comments. 16 deaths. Please Donald, think about the 16 families that lost a loved one, or the 12 lives that are no longer on this Earth. They matter, it would matter if it was one person, and it would matter if it was 1,000+ as in Katrina. You as a person of authority do not get to go to Puerto Rico and make them feel as if their death toll is not high enough for you to care. As if their death toll is not enough for you to regard it as worthy of the classification of a tragedy.

And to his defenders who will say, "he didn't mean it like that", and "he was just saying not as many people died." I am sorry but when you are President of a country, you do not get to not mean things. You do not get to say stupid things and then take them back. Donald Trump is president and that means the things he says are heard by everyone. The things he says reflect on America as a country, and reflect on American citizens and government for providing him with the seat he sits in. This is not about us liberals being 'sensitive' or us overreacting. One simply cannot go to a country, and tell them that the 16 people they lost will not be counted as a real tragedy. One cannot go to a country and tell them that their losses are not "real."

Fellow Americans, this is Donald Trump unfiltered. This is him without someone else typing up his speeches and telling him what to say. Donald Trump unfiltered is something that is making a laughing stock out of America, but who could blame them?