loving dogs

Dogs Were Nicknamed 'Man's Best Friend' For A Very Good Reason

Not only do we need them, but they need us, too.

36

Aside from seeing my Memaw, my most favorite part about coming home is how excited my dogs always are to see me. I can't remember a time that I've ever walked through the door and haven't been greeted by their excited yelps and (what I assume to be) smiling faces.

I had a boy at school today tell me about how much he hates dogs, and how he just didn't understand the hype. Being a proud dog owner for as long as I can remember: I felt sorry for the boy who has obviously never known the love of a dog.

Dogs were nicknamed "man's best friend" for a number of reasons. One reason being the company that they provide. I have never felt alone whenever a dog is present. If your dogs are anything like mine then they crave contact just as much as you do. I've got a constant cuddle buddy and shoulder to cry on, and because of that, I have never felt by myself.

Also, not to sound crazy, but they're the greatest listeners. I like to talk, a lot, and sometimes I just find myself in a conversation with well, myself. Right, when I start to feel silly for talking out loud I look over at my dog, who is constantly by my side, and am assured that I have a listening ear. Whenever my dog hears the sounds of my voice his ears raise and he makes eye contact just like he understands exactly what I'm saying. Of course, I know he doesn't, but it's the thought that counts, right?

Friendships should always be 50/50, but it's life, and sometimes we get busy and distracted. A lot of times we're slacking in one relationship or giving too much in another before we even realize it. We're all guilty of being in these situations, but it's kind of nice to think that this is one friendship that you know for sure is 50/50. Before you think you're relying too much on the companionship of your dog you'll just have to remind yourself that they need us just as much as we need them.