Living With A Boyfriend, A Cat, And A Dog

10 Things You Hear When You Own Cats And Dogs Together

4. "Do they get along well?"

46
Amanda Fennell

Yes, I love animals with everything in my being. I wish I had enough time, space, and money to rescue every animal and keep them under my wing. Unfortunately, I can't do that (yet) and have to settle on just a few animals. I was lucky enough to pick the perfect animals with my boyfriend by my side. Honestly, our animals picked us before we could pick and rescue them. Our kitten was at our local pet store for a shelter event, and we fell in love with her at first sight. Our puppy was given to us by a friend who saved him from going to a kill shelter.

A lot of people stick to one side of animals, and it always comes down to cats vs. dogs. Why not both? I don't see why you can't love both equally, and we have been doing it just fine. A lot of our friends that come over or people who we tell about our fur babies ask so many different questions about living with both a cat and a dog.

Here are 10 things you hear if you own both cats & dogs together:

1. "Which pet do you like better?"

I love both of my babies equally. Although we got our kitten first, I could never look at both of them and pick one over the other. I'm always down to sit and brush my kitten while she licks my hands, but also down to have my dog laying his head on my tummy as I'm doing so.

2. "Isn't it expensive to care for both a dog and cat?"

No and yes. Vet bills can get pretty expensive, but the care of a dog and cat isn't hard to pay for other than that. Toys, food, litter, and love is basically all you need!

3. "Your animals are so well behaved together."

Thank you! It all comes with training, positive reinforcement (treats and "good boy/girl"), and love!

4. "Do they get along well?"

The amount of times I get asked this question is unbelievable. Yes, they get along amazingly well. They sleep together, eat together, play together, and our dog is always protecting our kitten from anything.

5. "How much did they cost?"

We adopted both of our babies. As much as we love purebred animals or a certain breed of dog or cat, we believe that adopting is less expensive while saving a little fur baby. Our dog was free (minus his supplies) because he was going to a kill shelter. Our cat was $75. If you are looking to adopt, always look on your local shelter website for prices. Sometimes shelters get too full and prices drop or they have special events.

6. "I wish my animals were as well behaving as yours." 

They're only showing off because you're here. No, but for real, it all comes with how you treat the animal. Give love but still reprimand every now and again, and they will respect you. Don't neglect them, and they won't neglect you. Our babies follow us wherever we go, even the bathroom, and now because of that, I know what having kids will be like. But really, the way you treat them directly affects how they act. Remember that.

7. "Are you going to get any more?"

This question is usually followed up with me yelling, "YES!!!!!" and my boyfriend saying, "Nope, not yet." Simultaneously. Everyone always laughs, but don't worry, I'll get him next time.

8. "I love them, they're so *Insert kind adjective*!"

Yes, thank you. They're sweet, loving, soft, and cuddly. It's one of those things that makes you smile about every time you see them. You should see when we come home from work, it's like being showered with love.

9. "What if one passes away before the other?"

Unfortunately, it's bound to happen. Dog and cat life spans are different and vary with every breed. Our dog is 6 and our cat isn't even a year old yet. Clearly, she will outlive our puppy, and that's something we will have to prepare ourselves (and her) for. We don't like to think about that, and instead enjoy late nights cuddling in bed with the both of them watching movies.

10. "Do you love them?"

Love is an understatement. I feel like I have two kids, and I'm an overprotective mother. The bond you feel with your pet when you're with them every day is insane. Since my boyfriend and I moved in together and got our pets, we have become severely attached to them. It really is like having your own little family, and you start looking forward to coming home to them as well as those adventures with them.

I love my fur babies, and now I want to run home and see them. If you think dogs and cats can't get along, think again, or else I'll send my two babies to jump on you and attack you with love and kisses so you can change your mind!!!