What To Go If Your Dog Gets Pyometra

I Almost Lost My Best Friend To Pyometra

Tears, smiles, laughter, and other components truly sum up our friendship, and I almost lost all of that.

78
River Johnson

When I was in 6th grade my brother called us downstairs to show us a surprise. My sisters and I all gandered that it would just be a new game for our DSIs or a new Barbie accessory, but what it was, was so much more than that. A little fluff-ball laid on the couch, wriggling around. At first, we all thought it was a pillow but soon realized that it was a fluffy little Golden Retriever puppy. Not to be overdramatic, but that was one of the best moments in my life.

The puppy soon sprouted before our eyes, and we named her Melody. Now Melody was the runt of the litter, so she was a tiny puppy. She grew her own mannerisms and became the thing I was most obsessed over. Her random fears of stairs and happiness of a tennis ball amused me beyond words. As junior high came along she was right beside me for some of the awkwardest times of my life. Coming home after a dreaded day of school, knowing she'd be happy to see me was sometimes the only thing I looked forward too. She was a happy bean, unaware of the hardships of school.

The midnight cuddles, her wiping (well licking) tears off my face, and laughs she has provided me with surpasses any other person. She is my best friend, and I only wished she fully understood this all. However I am not trying to toot my own horn, but I am pretty sure I am her best friend too.

Choosing to sleep in my room, following me around my room, and choosing me over my siblings really showed me how much she cared for me. I could not imagine having to live without her, and that almost became a reality this summer. Melody was never spayed when she was a puppy, and as she got older that became a problem. Her uterus became infected over time, that was a result of a hormonal change in the reproductive tract.

If she was spayed as a puppy this would not have happened, but since she wasn't, her ovaries were enlarged, and she had to get an emergency spay. Luckily my best friend was okay, and after a restless night, we were confirmed she'd be okay.

Melody after her surgery.Piper Johnson

While the week of wearing the "cone of shame," and taking medicines was hard for her, it was necessary for her to heal. In that time period, I truly took care of her and watched to ensure she was okay. I believe from the bottom of my heart that since then she and I have been closer. She was now more dependent on me than before, and I could just tell she appreciated me. This all could have been avoided, however, if we got her spayed properly. The heartbreak of thinking I never would see my best friend again was heart-wrenching. Spaying your dogs is extremely important as it is a risk for their health, and there are thousands of dogs to adopt. Melody is now fully recovered, and knowing that the short time I have with my best friend hasn't been cut shorter, makes all the love I put into her easier.