The New Doctor Is In And The Verdict Is Still Out

Doctor 13 has made her appearance and it will take some getting used to

80

I have seen every episode of the new generation of Doctor Who, starting with the 9th Doctor. I am a Whoovian.

Doctor 13 is a bit different than the previous doctors. The one big factor is that she is a female. For over 50 years, the Doctor has been portrayed by a man. He has wished to be a redhead, but a woman was never on his list. Much like we all cried when Matt Smith became Doctor 11, this new Doctor will take some getting used to.

The first episode for me was one that took some getting used to. I had to watch an older version of the Doctor to see what he was like after his regeneration. He never forgot who he was, but he was very hungry. Tea or custard and fish fingers were needed to help him regenerate. This Doctor did not eat anything in her new form. Of course, this could be because it's still not polite for a woman to grub like the previous doctors did.

The sonic screwdriver is one of my points of contention. The Doctor has always had a modern looking screwdriver and this one looks like it is a Klingon relic. It goes against the sonic we are all used to. It looks a bit more prehistoric. I prefer the modern look of the sonic.

The first episode *Spoilers* did not have the Tardis at all. This was a bit sad because the Tardis has always been a part of the Doctors entrance. Plus, we all want to see how it has changed.

It seems that each time we get used to one Doctor, the Doctor regenerates forcing us to get to know someone new. This, of course, works out very well for the entertainment industry as they do not have to rely on one actor to play out a part. This is what has also kept Doctor Who going for over 50 years.

Each Doctor is different brings something different to the scene. We saw Eccleston bring back the classic and it brought a new generation the world of Doctor Who. David Tennant made us all fall in love with the Doctor, and wish to be Rose. Matt Smith was a striking change to our conscious and fans were skeptical as the young Doctor brought us a whole new world of Who. Then came the War Doctor, which depending on how you look at it, could make Capaldi Doctor 13. The War Doctor prepared us for Peter Capaldi as the Doctor.

Jodie Whitaker is a great actress, and I have seen her in some of the BBC shows that I watch. She even starred with David Tennant in Broadchurch. I am excited to see what she will bring to further Doctor Who. I do not see this as a movement to make the Doctor more female-friendly, and while this may bring new fans, it is not about gender.

I would ask that the writers of Doctor Who remember that it's not about who plays the Doctor. It's about traveling through time and space, saving planets, and conquering for the little guys. Don't let us lose that wonder and awe which makes Doctor Who the cult classic that it is. The Doctor is a symbol of a hero for the planet earth.

It is protected!