"Doctor Strange" Brings Psychedelic Fantasy to the MCU

A cinematic acid trip that's fun for the whole family.

25
Digital Trends

Earlier this year, Marvel Studios stuck yet another landing with “Captain America: Civil War,” the third and possibly final installment of the "Captain America" trilogy. Not only did it garner general and critical acclaim, but the film also ushered in the third phase of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. And like with any new chapter of an epic superhero story, you need something new, something interesting. Diversity is a definite must. We’ve seen movies with man-made super-suits, gods, and products of science gone wrong. But the latest addition to the MCU, “Doctor Strange,” brings a splash of magic and wonder to the superhero genre.

The film stars Benedict Cumberbatch as Stephen Strange, a brilliant but arrogant neurosurgeon whose career tanks after his hands are mangled in a car crash. Desperate to find a cure and restore his normal life, he travels to Kathmandu, Nepal in search for a rumored healer. There he meets Karl Mondo (Chiwetel Ejiofor), a strict warrior, and a mysterious teacher called the Ancient One (Tilda Swinton). What once was a journey to fix his hands quickly becomes an exploration of ethereal energies and eastern philosophy. Meanwhile, a powerful sorcerer named Kaecilius (Mads Mikkelson) is gearing up to unleash a chaotic evil onto the world.

Like “Guardians of the Galaxy,” Marvel has successfully introduced a character that’s not as well-known to the public like Iron Man or Hulk. The film has a unique look and feel that differentiates it from the typical Marvel lineup, but not to the point where it feels out of place. In terms of visual style, imagine “Inception” took a cocktail of steroids and ecstasy. It’s incredible how far technology has come. The effects are wildly trippy and creative, and are some of the best that I’ve ever seen. The music is also very different, with Michael Giacchino’s score beautifully conveying the fantastical mysticism of the narrative.

For the most part, director Scott Derrickson films the action sequences very well. But there are moments where the blend of hand-to-hand combat and magical martial arts is hard to make out. Each actor brings their A-game, and there isn’t a performance that feels weak or forced. The intelligent and self-centered personality of Stephen Strange closely resembles a colder version of Tony Stark, but Cumberbatch brings an enduring curiosity to the character that carries throughout the movie. Chiewetel Ejiofor is also great as a warrior experiencing a crisis of faith, and Rachel McAdams does a good job as Strange’s likable love interest.

There’s been a lot of controversy surrounding Tilda Swinton’s casting as the Ancient One, since the original character is of Tibetan descent and Swinton herself is white. But while I do agree they could’ve just hired an Asian woman to play the role in the first place, I thought Swinton did a fantastic job. She had the calm, collected composure of a seasoned martial arts master, and was totally believable. Mads Mikkelson is fun as the central villain despite being more entertaining than he is compelling. The film fails to really dig deep into his backstory to make him an intimidating character, but there’s enough to him to make him at least interesting.

I had a ton of fun with “Doctor Strange.” It has a dull start and some weak humor here and there, but it doesn’t detract from the overall experience. The film is a mind-bending spectacle that still manages to keep the focus on its central heroes. It’s a step in a new direction for the MCU, and it’s hard to resist getting swept up in the fantasy.