Do You Value The Platform You're On Right Now?

Can you imagine living in a world without a free and fair internet?

103
TechCrunch

The words “net neutrality” are some of the most boring you’ve ever heard. I get it. But, if you’re reading this and you don’t care about computer jargon, it’s likely that you do care about the device you’re currently on. Moreover, you probably care about the platform you found this on— likely Facebook or Twitter— and all of its social media counterparts. In the past decade, social media has become an inescapable part of life, and its free nature has made it available to anyone with a device and internet connection. Because of our society’s dependence on social media, net neutrality is important— no matter how dry it may sound.

Not many people have taken the time, or care to, read the 400 page report that lay out the regulations of net neutrality (myself included). Net neutrality, in basic terms, is the behind-the-scenes rules and regulations that allow our internet access to be free and fair. We have the world at our fingertips because of net neutrality. Basically, it says that our broadband providers cannot discriminate against the websites and services provided to us; they can’t block lawful content, run one service at a pace slower than another, or create “fast lanes” by accepting fees from a company to provide their content faster.

Why are we just now hearing about net neutrality? For years, many of us have taken the open internet for granted— we only care now that our interests are threatened. In November, Chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, Ajit Pai, announces that they are preparing for a full rollback of the net neutrality rules and regulations. Pai’s statement also made clear that the rollback will not be the only change made to the way we use the internet; basically, it is due to come alongside a set of regulations that will further benefit broadband companies. The proposal ignites a discussion from both sides; while some broadband providers claim that the rules are an obstacle to their business, former Chairman of the FCC Julius Genachowski argues that net neutrality has created “an ecosystem of innovation and investment that’s the envy of the rest of the world.” The latter stance is the one most empathized with by the masses; whether you’re a small business owner, a college student writing for the Odyssey, or a high schooler who just likes to use Twitter, the potential consequences of net neutrality will affect you.

…How?

One of the core protections of net neutrality is that of no preference. If net neutrality is lost, it will be possible for broadband providers to accept fees for paster services, amounting to faster connection to some services and websites than others. For many wealthy online businesses like Amazon, this won’t be a problem; however, for small-scale entrepreneurs, the rollback could limit their ability to use the internet as a potential source of income. Without “no preference” protections, small businesses— especially those who deal primarily in e-commerce, such as many vendors on Etsy— will be at a disadvantage.

With the advent of social media, the use of the internet for pleasure has increased. Social media platforms have gone through lifecycles, as platforms like Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat have gained momentum and those like MySpace and LinkedIn have phased out. The repeal of net neutrality will put your content in the hands of your broadband providers, meaning that they will have the potential to choose what you see. They have the potential to offer social media platforms in bundles, each of which will require a fee. Therefore, even though you might only want Facebook and Instagram, you will have to buy Twitter’s bundle, which includes MySpace, Facebook and LinkedIn, separately from Instagram’s, which includes Pinterest, Tumblr and Buzzfeed. Whether you’re the one who pays the bills or a teenager who just wants to connect with your friends, the implications of a net neutrality repeal could change the way you interact with the world online.

Finally, as the dynamic of the political climate has changed, social media has increasingly become a platform for activism. Celebrities have used their various accounts to use their platforms for good, women have used them to launch the #MeToo movement, and even people outside the US have flocked to Twitter for a chance to reply to the President. Activism has become central to the internet. If net neutrality is repealed, broadband providers will have the ability to refuse access to sites that don’t serve them.

For example, if a given provider has interests in the Trump administration, the possibility that it will block opinions that oppose his is not far-fetched. Though this is a major slap in the face to the freedom of speech and the press in general, it particularly affects minorities, activists of color, and small-scale writers like myself, all who are more likely to have their content blocked.

My last point in particular is a testament to the ongoing battle between Obama-era policies and the current administration, the latter of which seems to want to repeal nearly every piece of legislation passed from 2009-2017. Whether you agree with that or not, it’s important that everyone be informed about what the effects of such provisions, like net neutrality, will be. The existence of a free and fair internet is something that can find a connection to the life of every American; for me, I applaud net neutrality for protecting my ability to use the platforms shared by my peers and publish articles like the one you’re reading now.

Since Pai’s announcement of the FCC’s plans last month, the internet as it exists now has banded together to maintain its own existence. If you’re interested in protesting the repeal of net neutrality, https://www.battleforthenet.com offers the opportunity to sign a petition and attend protests nationwide. Moreover, the opportunity to call or write to your local legislators is ever-present. Above all, the use of the internet by the public to protest its changes is truly a testament to its value and importance to all.