5 Ways To Pass The Time When Your Flight Is Delayed

Instead of yelling at helpless airport staff when your flight's delayed, try these five things to pass up time.

35

Everyone has had to deal with flight delays at least once in their lifetime and if they haven't, well then they just have impeccable luck. Flight delays aren't as simple as they may sound, for they carry with them more waiting time, unbelievable boredom, and the creeping fear that the flight may ultimately be canceled. Below are five things I did when I found myself stuck in an airport after getting my flight delayed six times.

People watch.

One of my favorite things to do in general is people watch. Especially in airports, I love imagining what the people I come across do/what kind of lives they live as well as trying to figure out where they're going or where they're from. People watching is a great way to keep yourself interested and your mind busy.

Start conversations with those in the same predicament as you.

It's always a good feeling when you're aware that there are other people in the airport in the same situation as you. Feeling not so alone in a time when you just want to scream at every airport employee is a great thing; I always like finding passengers on my same delayed flight to talk to and ultimately create an "airport friendship" with.

Explore the airport and find treats to eat.

Every airport is different, whether it's bigger, prettier, or cleaner. The airport I found myself stuck in for five hours offered a lot of food options, which proved very helpful in dealing with my stress. Indulging in treats not only made the time go by a little faster, but it made it a little bit more tolerable.

Find an interesting book to read.

Social media has always been my go-to when it came to passing time, but the airport I found myself in had the worst wifi connection ever! After two hours of fighting with the wifi, I took it upon myself to find something else to occupy: a book. Every airport either has a kiosk or store full of books and magazines just waiting for bored people to buy them and immerse themselves in the stories.

Listen to a podcast.

Listening to podcasts has become one of my favorite ways to pass time in an interesting and beneficial way. There are so many types of podcasts that cover every genre, so there is certainly one for you.