Do not fear the future.

Do not fear the future.

The future is beautiful.

126
Do not fear the future.

“Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it.” – Kahlil Gibran

Ever since I was little, I was told that the distinguishing characteristic between man and animal is that man has the power to think. I honestly think that humans tend to take this powerful characteristic for granted. I will admit it: sometimes I really forget to think. Do you ever look back on days and realize that you sadly have just been going through the motions? I am prone to it all the time. Sometimes, I feel like I am not even a person – kind of like I am a shell. I have always been a girl who liked routine. I mean I wish I had the care free attitude of most teenagers, but unfortunately I was raised in a household where routine, structure and standards were of the utmost importance. Now that is not to disregard the fact that I do act upon impulsivity and spontaneity. It is in those acts that I feel free; however, it is in these acts that I start to doubt myself. I wish I was not so structured. I wish I was not so “Type A.” I wish I did not have anxiety. The worst thing I think a person can tell me, and believe me, I get it A LOT is “Loosen up. Why are you devoid of fun.” Despite this having an utmost impact on what little self-esteem I already have, I also start to question my ultimate self-worth. Do people really think I want to be this “uptight?” I really try and try. And for those of you who know me, I really hope you know that I try and that each day I continuously try to break out of my shell and step out of my comfort zone. But my mind is always craving the future. I mean I need to know what the future holds. But this the problem: we cannot control the future. The future is untold. We are the only creators of our future. It is the insecurity of the future that I cannot control and it kills me.

I have to stop being such a control-freak. Seriously, I wish I can just turn this off, but I physically cannot. So instead, I have developed coping mechanisms in order to soothe my mind. I write. I run. I exercise. I practice yoga. I lift people up. I try to give each person I encounter a compliment. I call my parents. (Even though the last statement sometimes feeds my anxiety). Whatever it may be, I ask you to think of what will soothe your mind. Meditation, perhaps?

Why do I fear the future? I seriously do not know why. I mean sometimes I really dread the future. I guess it is because I want to know what the future has in store for me. But the thought that God has a plan for all of us makes me utterly elated. I do not know my purpose yet, and I have to accept that this is truly okay because each and everyday is another step in figuring out what God’s plan is for me. Do you fear the future?