Do Black Lives Matter Here?

Do Black Lives Matter Here?

I REALLY WANT TO KNOW!

3
Do Black Lives Matter Here?
Yamily Santana

Yesterday, I was at the protest held in State College, PA, that was made for Daunte Wright, so speakers and music were trying to find words for a cause that keeps repeating itself. I want to thank all the White individuals and everyone that came to support!

As we were in the protest, a speaker was crying in the microphone as she explained that her son is Black! Despite her emotion and our cause, a White man in a pickup truck stops his pickup truck and yells, you all deserve to die, you n-word—an old fifty-year-old man. Then, a black Jeep kept passing to flip us off.

As the protest ended, we wrote positive messages and a memorial for Daunte in chalk. Some painted his face, and it gave me a feeling I can't explain. Have you ever gotten so mad that you become silent? That is how I felt in that protest. I got chalk and was thinking about what to write; I didn't know what to say or write the first time. Then, I decided to write no justice, no peace. I wrote Daunte's name with a heart, and I also wrote Black Lives Matter.

When I was finished using my chalk, I shared my chalks with others. I felt so frustrated that White folks can see you mourning these deaths and yell that we don't matter or we deserve it. I spoke to my friend and talked about how we don't call the police if we see each other in problems. We find how to solve our issues!

Meanwhile, we were having this conversation, and then two white boys without masks approached us as a group and were saying slurs and being rude. I got upset and asked them who do they think they are? I did not have it; you don't show up to an event to make racist remarks and make fun that you are a privileged White male with so much ignorance, and he was recording us with his phone like, what are you going to do?

We are not a beast; we will not attack someone ignorant. What we can offer him is several books to read and several seats to take.

I WANT TO MAKE THIS CLEAR: WE ARE HUMAN BEINGS, AND I AM TIRED OF MARCHING FOR A CAUSE THAT NEEDS TO BE CHANGED. THESE EVENT SHOULDN'T BE HAPPENING. POLICE NEED TO STOP KILLING US!