An 11-Part Guide To DIY Denim

An 11-Part Guide To DIY Denim

How to Upcycle Tired Jackets and Jeans

157
An 11-Part Guide To DIY Denim
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/03/29/636579114018262907338047204_adult-beautiful-blur-813966.jpg

As spring approaches, denim becomes a more and more important part of my wardrobe, most especially my denim jacket. After a lot of use, denim can start to look and feel kind of blah. These are a few simple things you can do to spruce up your favorite pieces and give them a new life.

1. Embroidery

Etsy is filled with amazing denim jackets covered with embroidery. The only catch is they go for $1000+ dollars. It can't be that hard to learn it yourself, right? Pinterest is filled with tutorials for basic embroidery stitches.

2. Patches

Not quite that crafty? Sites like Etsy and places like Michael's Craft Store are filled with iron-on patches that you could totally play off as hand embroidered. Either way, they are cute and cheap options to cover a stain or hole.

3. Fabric

Another cheap way to cover a stain or fix a hole is with pieces of fabric. You can buy a fabric square for $2.50 which is plenty to cover a few holes. Keep it simple and cut them square, or do something more complicated like shown above.

4. Paint

So maybe you can's sew but you can paint? Buy a stencil or sketch out your design in pencil and paint over it to give yourself an adorable custom made piece of art.

5. Studs, Crystals & Beads

Bring some interest to a plain jacket with studs, beading and crystals. Pearls are still super in this season and could also be a cute and simple way to bring interest to the front panels or sleeves of a jacket.

6. Laces

If you know how to use a hole puncher, you're more than capable of DIYing your jacket to look like this. All you need is an eyelet punch, eyelets and some shoelaces. I've done this to a t-shirt before and it was easy to do and came out great.

7. Bleach & Dye

Over time denim tends to fade. One way to resolve this is by either bleaching your jacket or dying it back to its original state. Fabric dyes and bleaches are easily bought at places like Jo-Ann's Fabrics as well.

8. Fraying

Change the length or style of your jacket by fraying the edges. If you want a more cropped jacket, just trim the bottom to your desired length and fray the edges with a comb or scissors.

9. Replace Buttons

Over time, things like buttons and hardware tend to get scratched up and dirty. Look to craft stores and Etsy stores for cheap and cute replacements. Such an easy way to make your jacket look less worn out.

10. Fun Collar

Try adding lace to your jacket for some more interest as well. Sew a lace collar to dress up your look, or replace the sleeves for something more unique.

11. Fringe

Fringe jackets have been very in this season, why not add some fringe to your denim jacket. Another easy project to DIY, all you need to do is buy or make a fringe trim and sew it in place.

Happy spring! Get to the craft store ASAP and start DIYing your jacket. No better time to spruce up your wardrobe than with the turn of the seasons.