Divide: Ed Sheeran Album Review

Divide: Ed Sheeran Album Review

The most influential album of 2017.

74
Divide: Ed Sheeran Album Review
Genius

Released on the third day of the third month of the year, Ed Sheeran’s third album Divide was groundbreaking for the music industry. As I walked through the halls of my school throughout the day of the release, I could see the light blue and black album cover shining off of everyone’s Spotify and YouTube playlists. I had been anticipating this album since I saw Sheeran in concert a little over two years ago, at which he performed his then-new Multiply album. I argue that this is Ed’s best album yet, with international flavors that make it a frontrunner for the Grammys Best Album of the Year award.

1. "Eraser"

As the first song on the album, I expected a big statement from this one, and I was not disappointed. I’ve always been a fan of Ed’s rap and this song in particular was so emotional that it’s impossible to dislike. You can tell that the lyrics come from a very introspective place and I really love how he doesn’t try to make his voice sound polished; he lets the raw emotion bend and shape his voice into something so much more powerful. He doesn’t filter his words, but he also doesn’t lace the song with profanity either. He uses profanity to emphasize ideas rather than to use them just for the sake of it like other rappers have gotten in the habit of doing. Consequently, this is my absolute favorite song on the album. After listening to this, I knew Divide would be legendary.

2. "Castle on the Hill"

Released as one of the two singles to foreshadow what was to come on the record, “Castle on the Hill” was unlike anything else on the market. All of Ed’s songs are unique in the fact that they have a narrative and tell a story. When you hear Ed on the radio, you’re listening to a book, rather than a market-researched pop song that tries hard to sing “Oh” in a different way. I preferred this song to “Shape of You” at the time but still thought something was missing. Heard with the rest of Divide, it makes so much sense. He sings of different places through songs like “Barcelona” and “Bibia Be Ye Ye,” so “Castle on the Hill” is the song of where he’s from. Despite all the places he’s been, he still goes home. He hasn’t forgotten who he was.

3. "Dive"

While I favor his fast songs over his slow ones, I can tell that “Dive” is going to be the next “Thinking Out Loud.” This blues-infused song gives me some John Mayer vibes, which is a great thing. While Ed played a lot with falsetto on Multiply, he doesn’t hold back in this one and shows off the true beauty of his voice.

4. "Shape of You"

At first, I didn’t like this song. It didn’t sound like Ed Sheeran to me, but that was before I knew that Ed completely redefined himself with this album. After listening to this song with my friends (which made school much better), I realized how catchy it was. Be sure to catch Jimmy Fallon’s collaboration with Ed to sing “Shape of You” with only Fisher-Price instruments.

5. "Perfect"

Another ballad, this song could be named after its quality. You’ll be seeing Facebook videos of first dances at weddings with this song in a couple of months so just be prepared.

6. "Galway Girl"

Okay, “Galway Girl.” This song is incredible and probably tied for my second favorite on the album. Ed takes traditional Irish music and transforms it into something contemporary and intriguing. You can’t help but dance when this one comes on.

7. "Happier"

I see the title and I think, “Okay, this is unusual.” My thoughts were confirmed when I discovered that the song is about Ed’s ex being happier with someone else, but he was happier with her. This song is monumental.

8. "New Man"

I love this song because it seems like Ed had a lot of fun writing it. It’s sassy and you can hear parts where it sounds like he’s suppressing a laugh. This is the Ed we all know and love.

9. "Hearts Don’t Break Around Here"

Such a vulnerable song, Ed sings about being safe in his love’s arms and being in love. There are so few songs like this in existence that the listener is automatically drawn to it. This is the love you hear about in fairy tales and the happy endings in movies.

10. "What Do I Know?"

Music can change the world. With love, understanding, and positivity, you can make the world a better place peacefully. Don’t scream. Whisper so everyone has to stop talking to hear you.

11. "How Would You Feel (Paean)"

Written for his girlfriend Cherry Seaborn (whose middle name is also Paean), “How Would You Feel” is a beautiful ode to her. This is the type of song where you don’t sing along and just listen because it’s so meaningful.

12. "Supermarket Flowers"

This song is written for Ed’s late grandmother and uses an angelic symbol to put the focus on all the good a person does in their lifetime. It’s such a nostalgic celebration of a beautiful life.

13. "Barcelona"

This is the song that’s tied for my second favorite among the album. This was the first song I heard from the album release and I love the playful nature of it. You can’t help but feel your mood picked up when you hear it. Peep Ed’s Spanish 1 skills near the end of the song.

14. "Bibia Be Ye Ye"

Okay, this is like “Hakuna Matata” for adults. Meaning “everything will be alright” in Twi, a language spoken across parts of Africa including Ghana and the Ivory Coast, "Bibia Be Ye Ye" is a beautiful blend of music. I’m so thankful that Ed included this on his album because I’ve gotten to experience a new type of music that might not normally show up in my “Recommended” that I’ll definitely be listening to more of in the near future.

15. "Nancy Mulligan"

This song is beautiful because it tells the history of Sheeran’s family. It’s based off his grandmother, Nancy Mulligan, and his grandfather, William Sheeran’s, love story. I love it so much and you will, too.

16. "Save Myself"

This song is a foil to “Eraser” at the beginning of the album. Its chorus says, “So before I save someone else, I’ve got to save myself,” resonating with anyone who has ever given too much to something or felt used. You truly can’t be as effective in helping people if you don’t first work on yourself. A fitting end to such a beautiful album.